Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot Tell whats bottle necking my computer because...

Options
  • 30-10-2009 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Because well my computer wont let me. The last day my computer starts slowing down, so i press ctrl alt delete so that i can check out the CPU usage and close whatever the hell is making my computer go insane but heres the problem, well i think this picture will explain a bit better:

WHAT.jpg

As you can see there is no bar on top, so not only can i not check to see whats causing cpu usage but I also couldn't even close the dammed thing. After a while i realized that it could be closed by rick clicking it at the task bar but the other problem still persists. Id google it, but I really wouldn't even know what to google.

At the end of the day my computer is running suspiciously slow for the last 2 weeks and according to avast there is no virus so id really like to know whats bottlenecking my cpu. So please if anyone could tell me how id go about getting my ctrl alt delete window back to normality thatd be great, or even if they heard of similar things happening. Im running good aul xp by the way and its a legitimate copy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Try double clicking the top right hand corner. By the way,Vista or XP ?

Edit...Ah, XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,118 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im calling Virus on that one.

You can try to press Alt+Space+M to get the Move Function to show up but afaik this wont work unless you drag from the top bar - making it the most useless feature of the entire OS.

You can also try to tab around. On a normal machine tabbing will at some point get you to highlight the Tabs in Task manager. From there you can press left and right to navigate through applications and processes and performance. keep pressing tab then left or right.

Alt+F/O/V/H will also bring up Task Managers respective menus.

Again, malware is probable. Follow the "I think I have a virus" sticky thread in the Virus and Malware forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Duiske wrote: »
    Try double clicking the top right hand corner. By the way,Vista or XP ?

Edit...Ah, XP.
    Well this worked as far as I can now see all the tabs on my task manager. Bad news is I still have no idea whats bottle necking my cpu usage. Its fine for a while then all of a sudden it spikes to around 80% and stays there for a few minutes and then goes back down low again. There are a few suspicious processes going on though. I think imi going to check out that sticky overheal recommended in the morning and see if i can narrow it down tomorrow. Cheers for all the speedy help so far!

Advertisement