Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEEKING DJS WHO WANT TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT MASHUP STYLE A LÁ "2 MANY DJS"

Options
  • 30-10-2009 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi

I am getting into Djing more but I want to do something different. I use Ableton Live for production. I will use it for Djing too. I want to do our own remixes and be able to recreate them live.

I could do it myself perhaps but that won't be half as much
    fun for me or anyone watching me. I want to put the talent back into
    the art of DJing and not just press play, like many people I have seen
    play. Give a real live show kind of atmosphere and actually give a kind
    of experience, not a jukebox DJ who has no musical passion only a financial one.

My influences are very varied and they will change depending on the night
    and the place and what's expected. We should be able to come to a stage
    with a good mashup set that is transcendent of 'genres' and such and just
    play some really great music in a way that they have not heard before.
    That is the really the goal.

Possible collaborations later on with a VJ or using the new Serato
    Scratch Video version that would be wicked. Shoot video and add it
    to tracks. Really no limits on what we could do at all, sonically or
    visually, and that is overlooked these days with most club nights
    I have been too where creativity is not a real feature.

So here we go. We will be doing our own mixes but a few ideas are as follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za-cX9-iF78
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38SHb6hfOJg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGBaBast1KU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4rIvNrxwwU&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_veg1TXYVQ&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfuprI86GYk&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4nLW-enDZc

Looking for serious DJs/producers/musicians only please.

Rich.

:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

trying to do something similar over her in the limerick area but pub/club owners are
    wary of the unknown, even though me and the lad i'm starting it with are well known as
    regular dj's, best offer we've had so far is to rent and promote the night ourselves.
    plus your average audiance will winge that you're messing up their favourite songs etc.

Its great fun to do if you can get the crowd, we're not doing it till paddies day but thats cause we've bookings up till new year and the january february lull is a bad time to start anything new. the key to this stuff is preparation, having enough material warped and looped and ready to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Ooooh how ground breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

Quiggers wrote: »
    trying to do something similar over her in the limerick area but pub/club owners are
    wary of the unknown, even though me and the lad i'm starting it with are well known as
    regular dj's, best offer we've had so far is to rent and promote the night ourselves.
    plus your average audiance will winge that you're messing up their favourite songs etc.

Its great fun to do if you can get the crowd, we're not doing it till paddies day but thats cause we've bookings up till new year and the january february lull is a bad time to start anything new. the key to this stuff is preparation, having enough material warped and looped and ready to roll.

Yep i know what is involved. Thanks for the tips. Promoters are unaware and scared of the unknown. which makes me loose respect for them. people genuinely want to see something new sometimes they just dont have the opportunity. promotors can hang your heads in shame over this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Hey!! This sounds like a really good idea and I know personally that I'd love to see it in motion! I've been Djing for almost a year now and I get the feeling that my efforts are going to waste! No one cares for mixing in bars now.......I see lads using a laptop and just cross fading from tune to tune and it gets the same reaponse as my mixing! No disrespect to your efforts but your looking at a very small audience......the people who really care for mixing! 99.9% of the people I play for couldnt care less about the tunes I play.....they just want to get hammered drunk and have a bit of noise in the background!

Best of luck with your venture though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I am looking into a similar venture but was talking to a good few people who do make the argument would anyone care? As has been said before, come 11pm you'd be lucky to find anyone sober enough to appreciate the show. And you'd actually run the risk of drubks leaving with the words "He ruined my song.. They ain't playing the right music etc" And I've seen it happen.

Also, you need to examine ticket prices, people are wary to pay over €5 and even less likely to pay €10. So your profit / break even margins are tiny. So you either do the nights and risk no payment for it or just join mix nights in major towns in the hope of making something from it.

But the best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

think its a sign that music appreciation is at an all time low, me and all the dj's i know
    get bonbarded by the same 5 requests all nite every nite and even mates in bands trying to do original material are barked at to do covers of what ever rnb hit the masses demand. Altho a rock cover of sexy bitch is a thing of wonder, the bands are just as sick of it as us dj's, and tripe like x-factor only adds to the idea that the majority of dimwits who vote for such programmes should dictate listening tastes of the nation, there was a time when record shop owners and dj's were the tastemasters, now its accountants and salesmen in hmv and MTV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Agree with Quiggers, its all the **** on Mtv and that X factor crap has kids brain washed, I was playing in Galway last night, all I got asked for was Cheryl Cole 8 times during the night, and I agree about mixing, normally I would make sure I would have every tune mixed, but they dont give a S**t now, I was in a club in Waterford during the week and it was a cross fader job all night, Just saying to myself why boder anymore

Can't agree more with the previous posts. However, is there a serious market for clubbers who do care? People who want the Ibiza (any clubbing hotspot for that matter) experience of proper DJ's, proper lighting etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

ironclaw wrote: »
    Can't agree more with the previous posts. However, is there a serious market for clubbers who do care? People who want the Ibiza (any clubbing hotspot for that matter) experience of proper DJ's, proper lighting etc?

I'd say there is a market, just a very poor supply, which is making people lazy. If, like most European capitals, there was (at least) one big well known club in Dublin with a reputation for good music, the likes of Fabric or Berghain or something, then I think that would influence other smaller clubs to step up on music quality. I'm hoping someone will take the old Redz building and turn it into a 5-story techno monster, but it's never gonna happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

do it for the music, not for the money. thats what wrong with the music industry

• Advertisement

True, but it costs money to run clubs and promote nights, It is all about the money at the end of the day

True, but it costs money to run clubs and promote nights, It is all about the money at the end of the day

Thats sad but very true.

As regards the Redz building, is it derelict or does anyone know who has it? I presume it isn't owned. More of a long term lease or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Why not produce a 30 minute or hour long set, mix it as best you could ever mix something in your lifetime and distribute it online, use your own site or myspace type page as a hub to build a fanbase, then go to clubs with your 1000+ facebook fans as stats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Always loved Too many DJ's ,And looking forward to hearing so home grown talent on here .

do you think most of irelands finer dj's do it for the money?

When he said this:

He was talking about the music industry, not the artists, i.e. the industry consisting of mainly the promoters and general suits. To quote yourself:
    Táck wrote: »
    do it for the music, not for the money. thats what wrong with the music industry

i wasnt talking to you, my initial statement was aimed at the op.

Im a dj because I love my music and its a bonus getting paid as well, but if your not filling a club and not keep the crowd there your going to have an owner or promoter on your back, there is massive over heads and like I said a club owner or promoter is out to make money, like any other business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

im with tack.
    look for someone who wants to do it for fun.
    you could be a horrendous dj but once your having fun thats all that matters.

i hate to burst your bubble but everything youve talked about doing has been done to death already and its ran its course imo.once ableton came on the djing scene people have been doing what you describe.

people arent really feeling the glitched out/mashup/clip firing sets anymore imo.they wanna hear the songs in there original format,the less ****ing about the better i think.
    do it for fun and if people express an interest and you get a following then approach a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

seannash wrote: »
    people arent really feeling the glitched out/mashup/clip firing sets anymore imo.they wanna hear the songs in there original format,the less ****ing about the better i think.

+1
    There is nothing worse than your favorite track being chopped up / filtered to fcuk or badly mixed.

To the OP, kudos for the initiative and all...but what you want to do died a quick death a long time ago. 2 Many DJ's are a novelty act who can get away with it only because of their fame during the "mashup" wave.

• Advertisement

acman wrote: »
    +1
    There is nothing worse than your favorite track being chopped up / filtered to fcuk or badly mixed.

To the OP, kudos for the initiative and all...but what you want to do died a quick death a long time ago. 2 Many DJ's are a novelty act who can get away with it only because of their fame during the "mashup" wave.

Agreed, they were on the Main Stage for a good reason at Picnic: they weren't remotely a dance act. They were mixing stuff like Seputura and Guns 'n' Roses just to show that they could, not to make the crowd dance. Girltalk is also a bag of shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

I'd say there is a market, just a very poor supply, which is making people lazy. If, like most European capitals, there was (at least) one big well known club in Dublin with a reputation for good music, the likes of Fabric or Berghain or something, then I think that would influence other smaller clubs to step up on music quality. I'm hoping someone will take the old Redz building and turn it into a 5-story techno monster, but it's never gonna happen...

In fairness now, the twisted pepper has had some quality music on in there this year from all genres of music.

Off the top of my head : joker, n-type , Dj Yoda, Funk D Void , the gas lamp killer , Appleblim, Beardyman , Dam Funk.

And coming up : J-rocc , carl craig , Floating points, Donal Dineen , DJ Godfather, Marcel Dettmann, joy orbison.

It might not be a "big well known club" but it is making headway in building up a good rep.

To be honest, i personally don't think there's a market in dublin for a club along the lines of fabric ( at least in terms of the type of music that fabric puts on ) ~ you could , however, build a large club the SIZE of fabric and fill it with people who listen to whatever's cool and they'll stay and get smashed for the night on overpriced sh*te drinks, with chart r'n'b in the background.

See "mantra" in maynooth or "wrights" of swords for details. *

*This rant is solely the view of Cathal O'Rourke, and as such i would like to distance myself from any negative feedback in light of this post.
    :D

Nedermeyer wrote: »
    In fairness now, the twisted pepper has had some quality music on in there this year from all genres of music.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a great club, and there's a few, relatively small clubs like that with good music, which are the clubs I'd normally go to, but you really can't compare them to the european "super-clubs", which is what I'm suggesting.

To be honest, i personally don't think there's a market in dublin for a club along the lines of fabric ( at least in terms of the type of music that fabric puts on ) ~ you could , however, build a large club the SIZE of fabric and fill it with people who listen to whatever's cool and they'll stay and get smashed for the night on overpriced sh*te drinks, with chart r'n'b in the background.

Many of these huge european clubs have different floors with different music, for example Karlovy Lazne in Prague, it has 5 floors, or chart, r 'n' b, techno, cheese, and something else I can't remember...I think a club like that would get a great reception in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

acman wrote: »
    To the OP, kudos for the initiative and all

+1 on this; didn't really wanna say it but 'tis the truth!

Many of these huge european clubs have different floors with different music, for example Karlovy Lazne in Prague, it has 5 floors, or chart, r 'n' b, techno, cheese, and something else I can't remember...I think a club like that would get a great reception in Dublin.

I would love to see the likes of this, but where honestly could you put it? And more importantly make it work? TempleBar is about as far as people will travel to a venue and its no way near big enough to accomadate such a venture. And forget bus-ing people to a venue, could you imagine the mess at 3am? :pac:

Personally, Irish clubbers (as in Joe Soap clubbers) want to look good, get a girl, get locked and get a taxi. frankly, most wouldn't give a toss about the music. I was on the floor of the Button Factory there the other night (Thursday the 29th) and the music by my standards was excellent. Not Crossfade Charlie as per usual. Good deck work, fine mixes, mash ups, the works. I would love to get the Dj's name. But no one was dancing because it wasn't Sexy This and Timberlake That :(

Earlier I suggested the site that Redz was on, it's a big building, in which you could easily fit 5 floors. I don't know who owns it etc. but I'd love to see something like that happen there.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a great club, and there's a few, relatively small clubs like that with good music, which are the clubs I'd normally go to, but you really can't compare them to the european "super-clubs", which is what I'm suggesting.

I'm not gonna argue with you on this, we just have to stop codding ourselves here for a minute, and realise that this is DUBLIN that we're talking about.

How many of us here on boards know people who've left the country travelling/in search of work/etc....

I can think of 10 names at least straight off the top of my head.

If all of those people (largely under the age of 30, lets' say, for arguments sake ) were to fly into dublin airport this evening, then in the morning there might be some type of market for what is being discussed.

until then, I personally can't see something like this happenning.

All this talk of super clubs has reminded me of an article in resident advisor a while ago about the amsterdam clubbing scene :

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1070

Well worth a read.

How many of us here on boards know people who've left the country travelling/in search of work/etc....

If all of those people (largely under the age of 30, lets' say, for arguments sake ) were to fly into dublin airport this evening, then in the morning there might be some type of market for what is being discussed.

You've just given me a brilliant idea! Open up a super-club to employ all the ex-pats, so they all come back! Beat the recession - bring back the rave scene.

Advertisement