Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ok to be on phone while stationary...

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭

Was on the mobile at red lights in the right hand turning lane today, waiting to go green.
    I know, I know, I won't do it again.
    A Garda jeep pulled up on the inside lane and wheels down his window, I'm thinking "I'm done now"....
    I threw the phone into the door swab without hanging up,which he saw,and wheeled the passenger-side window down before he says
    "Hang up before you pull away, you're grand stationary":eek::eek:
    I said thanks Garda, and proceeded to finish off my call....
    The lights took an eternity to go green, or maybe it just felt like it..

Is this true? Or was he just doing me a favour?; top form either way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Having the phone in your hand while commanding a vehicle on a public road be it stationary or not is a no-no.

He was just being decent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i think he was doing you a favour!

afaik he could of still done you for being on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Sounds like you were lucky to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I have heard before that you can be on the phone while your stationary, don't know if its true or not. I suppose your not driving the car so it should be ok, dont hold me to it tho:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

The law is that if the ignition is on then your *technically* driving the vehicle regardless if you're moving or not.

I'm not gonna do a high horse on ya but f*ck me you were quite lucky to get ayay with it.

I *try* to use a handsfree headset thing or put the phone on speaker and rest it on the door handle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Being stopped is part of driving. What if you were concentrating on the call and didn't see a pedestrian crossing or indeed, didn't see the green light? Doing all three can be difficult.

Preferably, only use the phone when parked up and the engine off, but if doing this on a high speed road, try to find a lay-by or side road, you don't want a truck rear-ending you if you are ont eh hard shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He could have given a ticket and penalty points, you were lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Volter

Staker, you had a lucky day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

As I thought.....

Wouldn't mind but i have a bluetooth kit in the van, just gone too lackadaisical in pairing it up.

He would've seen this too from the jeep

I have learned, just really relieved, thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

you were lucky,igot 80 yo yo fine and 2 pts the first day this was enforced about 3 years ago stuck in traffic goin nowhere:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hold on, that doesn't make sense. This morning my phone rang, I pulled in to the side of the road, and took the call. So where is the line between sense and........illegality?....I'm hardly going to pull up, and stand outside in the rain, now am I.............??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

As Victor said, once the engine is turned off, it's ok to be on the phone.....

He sounds like he's in the know....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A friend of mine was fined and given points for texting while being stationary so I think the OP got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Friend of mine got 2 points for using a phone when pulled over at the side of the road. Engine has to be off apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Garda was probably just being daycent.. Consider yourself lucky, have heard of so many people that have been got for that.. Anyway the price of Bluetooth Kits are coming down, places like Halfords etc selling them reasonably priced.
    It should soon be the day when every car should have one, and it should be made as standard on most new model cars. At the moment, it's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

what happens if you are just using the gps on the phone to find where you are going? Ideally it should be mounted in a holder i suppose...

I remember reading about how is some other country (possibly NZ) where they introduced this clause as not applicable for penalties due to the ever increasing amount of gps use on handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

What about if you drive an efficient dynamics BMW that automatically shuts off at traffic lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You are in the middle of the road fletch. You should get double points for trying to be smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

You are in the middle of the road fletch. You should get double points for trying to be smart.
    It was a genuine query...similarly, if I am in traffic, can I turn the car off while at a light I know is going to stay red for ages, complete my call and then turn the car back on. I just think the law should be more defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Fair enough. I've no idea what the law says. I was just applying common sense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement