Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

06 Mondeo - petrol or diesel?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi folks, we're looking at a 06 Mondeo 1.8 petrol, but I don't know much about these cars, so I'd like to ask those in the know. Are diesels better? Why/why not? Anything for/against these petrol engines over a diesel? Really like the car otherwise, looks & drives well, around 60k miles on the clock. It's just that little gut feeling I can't get rid of: am I making the right choice? By the way, we wouldn't do more than 7-8k miles per year. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

at your mileage the petrol would be fine, especially with the lower purchase prices. Mondeos are fine cars and pretty reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

1.8 Petrol isn't worth the tax, especially when your doing less then 10k a year.
    However Diesel isn't worth the tax either for that mileage.
    I think you should consider a 2006 Corolla/Avensis/Mazda3/Vectra which has a smaller petrol engine and is cheaper to tax.

If funds to tax it isn't an issue, then by all means, do go ahead and get either. Mondeo is a generally well established car and just as reliable as any of the Japs!

The motor tax difference between a 1.6 in those and the 1.8 is 106. The Mondeo is also a superior car to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

I'm aiming for the 1.8 because I feel anything smaller would struggle to pull that large body snappily enough. I'm happy to fork out the €106 difference for a more powerful engine.

Cheers for the input lads. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP should look at the Mazda 6 petrol too, they can be bought for similar money to a Mondeo and almost as good to drive. Avoid the 6 diesel and try and get the higher spec Executive model like this:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200942195484471

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Go for the Zetec Mondeo if possible.
    I had one and prior to my present car and it was a nice car to drive. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

2nd on getting a Zetec, More extras, Alloys, Fogs, EW all round and more power, 125bhp, compared to I think 90bhp of the LX. For the milage your doing get the petrol, I had 2 1.8 Zetec petrols and found them very good on the MPG, I think 35 - 40mpg. I currently have a 2.0TDCi Zetec, 50mpg. You might also pay a bit less for the petrol model.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

2nd on getting a Zetec, More extras, Alloys, Fogs, EW all round and more power, 125bhp, compared to I think 90bhp of the LX. For the milage your doing get the petrol, I had 2 1.8 Zetec petrols and found them very good on the MPG, I think 35 - 40mpg. I currently have a 2.0TDCi Zetec, 50mpg. You might also pay a bit less for the petrol model.

LX was 110bhp. Big difference between it and the 125bhp in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Thanks for the suggestions. The one I'm eyeing is the Platinum spec, supposed to be a bit higher than the Zetec, although I don't know the difference exactly, and I can't seem to find anything about the trim levels back in 2006. All I know is it's nice... :D Mywheels reports it as 125bhp as well.

basically parking sensors. It was a run out model. There was platinum and steel i think. The steel was based on lx so avoid that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

EPM wrote: »
    basically parking sensors. It was a run out model. There was platinum and steel i think. The steel was based on lx so avoid that

Indeed. I looked at an ex-demo platinum back in 06 when I had money. Lovely car.

Best kept long term secret there is IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

BeciMester wrote: »
    Anything for these petrol engines over a diesel?
    They don't sound like tractors, for one thing.

But as diesels go they are very good. Plus the 115 brake is very reliable. 130 gets a few injector problems alright but they sound lexus like compared to some. I'd prefer the midrange shove of one to the petrol any day

What ever you do don't touch the basic diesel, I had one for a year as a company car, it broke down twice, 1st time flywheel and 2nd time intercooler issue, both "common problems" fixed under warranty. Fine big, comfy car though but I wouldn't recommend. The 90bhp diesel sounds like a truck from the 60s too, unbelievably noisy. In fairness though the mid range benefits of the diesel does make for a better driving experience than the 1.8 petrol. I had one of those for a weekend and with 4 adults and luggage it was well anchored. The 115bhp diesel didn't feel as good as it should had to drive (also had one of them for a while). Many folks also reckon the brakes on the diesel Mondeos of that era were a tad misleading, in a hurried stop the ABS always seemed to stop you about 2 feet after where you though you would stop. I used to think it was just me but the body shop manager in Ford garage told me that one of the senior staff there had rear ended folks twice whilst driving two seperate Mondeo diesels, apparently the chap was totally accident free otherwise in 30 odd years of driving.

You should keep in mind the resale value of a petrol Mondeo, you will find it quite hard to sell an 06 in a couple of years as most will be opting for the newer model over the 06s, be they platinum or not.

Advertisement