Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dry Steering

Options
  • 29-10-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Can you please tell me what the case with dry steering and the driving test. I have read about it being bad for the car but do you get marks against you for doing it?
    The reason I ask is that my instructor has taught me to turnabout and reverse around a sharp corner (not a bend) using dry steering and I am now wondering if I will get marks against me for it!
    I would appreciate your feedback :)
    Marie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Mcloke wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Can you please tell me what the case with dry steering and the driving test. I have read about it being bad for the car but do you get marks against you for doing it?
    The reason I ask is that my instructor has taught me to turnabout and reverse around a sharp corner (not a bend) using dry steering and I am now wondering if I will get marks against me for it!
    I would appreciate your feedback :)
    Marie

Your instructor should have taught you to do both manoeuvres without dry steering, but you won't get marked for it on your test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 2010

Although not good for your tyres or car ...you wont
    be marked for dry steering on your test
    hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Hi

If you start moving first you will be doing it the way you SHOULD.
    But!
    • You only need to move a little (once the wheels are moving).
    • Keep the clutch in enough to control your speed (In first there is no such thing as coasting, it is clutch control)
    • Steer enough.
    The Tester can let you away with dry steering but technically you should NOT do it and as a Qualified Driving Instructor I would teach you how to do it correctly and inform you that the tester MAY let you away with dry steering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

I am horrified to think that an instructor would teach you to dry steer. If he is recommending that, what other bad practices is he recommending? Not good enough, I would love to raise the matter with him, and put him right.

Dry steering is a lazy way to get yourself out of a tight situation. Your instructor should be aiming to teach you good driving practice, not the laziest way out. I seriously question the standard of many instructors out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

Thank you for the responses...I do know it is no good for the car but I don't have time to fix it at the moment :) as long as I won't get marked for it that will do for now and I will practice without dry steering later :)
    Thanks Again :)

• Advertisement

Safety

If you dry steer and DON'T move off, you will be sitting with your wheels facing the other side of the road or the footpath.

If someone hits the back of your can you could end up on the other side of the road or on the footpath because your wheels are NOT straight.

There are more reasons than your tires.

Regards

HydeRoad wrote: »
    I am horrified to think that an instructor would teach you to dry steer. If he is recommending that, what other bad practices is he recommending? Not good enough, I would love to raise the matter with him, and put him right.

Dry steering is a lazy way to get yourself out of a tight situation. Your instructor should be aiming to teach you good driving practice, not the laziest way out. I seriously question the standard of many instructors out there.

She is a she, ADI qualified and in all honesty she is a good instructor. I appreciate your feelings re the dry steering and it something I will correct in my driving :)

Safety

If you dry steer and DON'T move off, you will be sitting with your wheels facing the other side of the road or the footpath.

If someone hits the back of your can you could end up on the other side of the road or on the footpath because your wheels are NOT straight.

There are more reasons than your tires.

Regards

My question was re the test...I know the problems with it but it is how I was taught (not my fault) and I just needed the advice re being marked for it.
    I will learn to do it right before my next test if I fail and after my test if I pass :) I do want to drive properly not just pass my test so it will be corrected one way or the other but not before my first test :)

She is a she, ADI qualified and in all honesty she is a good instructor. I appreciate your feelings re the dry steering and it something I will correct in my driving :)

Do this and it is easy.

* You only need to move a little (once the wheels are moving).
    * Keep the clutch in enough to control your speed (In first there is no such thing as coasting, it is clutch control)
    * Steer enough.

An hour and you will be fine. Do it with your instructor.

When is your test?

• Advertisement

Do this and it is easy.

* Keep the clutch in enough to control your speed (In first there is no such thing as coasting, it is clutch control)
    * Steer enough.

An hour and you will be fine. Do it with your instructor.

I am driving an automatic so I guess I ignore the clutch bit ;)

When is your test?

Tomorrow :)

I am driving an automatic so I guess I ignore the clutch bit ;)

* If your car moves when you come off the break that is all you do to control your speed (Only excelerate to go quicker or up hill IF NEEDED)
    * Steer enough.

* If your car moves when you come of the break that is all you do to control your speed (Only excelerate to go quicker or up hill IF NEEDED)
    * Steer enough.

Thanks for your help :) I will give it a go before my test tomorrow if I get a chance but like I said I will learn to do it right as passing my test is not my primary focus...driving properly and safely is :)

All the best, let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Regards

All the best, let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Regards

Thank you...I passed :) and I didn't dry steer bar the tiniest bit on part of my turnaround :) and I won't be doing it in the future!

Thank you...I passed :) and I didn't dry steer bar the tiniest bit on part of my turnaround :) and I won't be doing it in the future!

Well done!

Regards

Advertisement