Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to learn french again

Options
  • 29-10-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,

Im a recent graduate from University and as I have a bit of time on my hands I'm looking to pick up French again to a relatively good level. I took it for Leaving Cert and worked in a job last summer where I managed to draw on most of the basics but it encouraged me to start learning it again.

Does anybody have any suggestions of good books, CDs etc that would be a way from going from say a good level of basic French to Intermediate?

I know the best way would really be going there but I reckon I could get to a decent level just learning at home. Id like to go beyond asking people whats on the menu or the way to the train station so to get to a more advanced level basically!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JediPoncho

Hi Wexgreen,

I found the Michel Thomas Method CDs very useful. Alot of libraries have them so you can give them a try for free.

He starts off assuming no knowlegde of the language and works to relatively advanced grammar by the advanced course.
    He focuses mainly on structure rather than vocab so that is something for the listener to learn themselves.

These courses have been the basis of my French ability for the past two years and I feel pretty confident in my conversational ability as a result of building and expanding what I started with the CDs.

Hope this helps,

Alex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Moi aussi j'essaye d'aprendre le Francais. J'aime http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/ - c'est bon pour la grammaire.

I like learning the old Gaeilge too and enjoy the Teach na nGealt forum here. I would love if boards.ie could offer something similar for euro languages -an everyday topic discussion en Francais where people didn't get uptight about your level or mistakes. Good or bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 evysiren

topper75 wrote: »
    Moi aussi j'essaye d'aprendre le Francais. J'aime http://www.laits.utexas.edu/fi/ - c'est bon pour la grammaire.

I like learning the old Gaeilge too and enjoy the Teach na nGealt forum here. I would love if boards.ie could offer something similar for euro languages -an everyday topic discussion en Francais where people didn't get uptight about your level or mistakes. Good or bad idea?
    :o apprendre le Français est une bonne idée

Advertisement