Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best TV Option for Retro Games

Options
  • 29-10-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I have recently rediscovered my love of my old (retro) games

I re-purchased the following consoles after foolishly selling them yrs ago:

1. SNES
    2. N64
    3. Dreamcast
    Using Scart for all of the above

I know that a CRT would be the ideal option, but there not widely available these days and plus there frecking huge.

So my question is basic enough - What TV should I play my consoles on and are they any settings that I can change to optimise the image quality.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Short answer is, play them on any TV... As long as your not planing on using light guns (wont work with plasmas / LCD's) then you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 34,693 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You really should hunt down a CRT if you can. It doesn't have to be anything massive. I have a 28 inch and it does the job perfectly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You should find a decent 28/29" Sony out there for little or no money, just check the tube isn't knackered, have a gander if it'll take a 60Hz signal, not to mention S-Video and a few scarts, then buy with confidence.
    A CRT brings to the table a natural anti-aliasing, where the tube takes away the jagged edges that an LCD shows in all their hideous glory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Slightly OT, but has anyone here tried the DC with a VGA box on any HiDef LCD/plasmas? I've only tried it on up to 22" PC monitor, but the picture quality is quite startling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

polyfusion wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but has anyone here tried the DC with a VGA box on any HiDef LCD/plasmas? I've only tried it on up to 22" PC monitor, but the picture quality is quite startling.

Until I rescued my CRT from the attic for my "play every DC game I own" project, I had my DC hooked up to a 36" lcd via an unofficial VGA box. It was quite something, although some games suffered a bit from the widescreeness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 DivinityLost

A VGA Box? Not familiar with this?

I currently am using a Samsung T220HD with the same Scart (multi out) for snes, n64 and gamecube. I'm wondering would it make a huge difference to purchase a v.good CRT. Is it even possible to still purchase a CRT in the shop at the moment. I have seen one in yrs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

You should keep an eye on adverts.ie and dublinwaste.ie (or similar) as there are often people throwing away working CRTs for nothing.

VGA box: http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Dreamcast-Adapter-Adaptor-DCVGA-S-Video/dp/B000SL4IIG

Essentially, you want to be using the VGA connection if your TV has it.

Some games mightn't work, I'm sure there is a compatibility list somewhere. I've read that you can use a boot disk with some of those that don't work, to get them to work. I've only really used mine with shooters, and I have to say the picture quality is astonishing on a 22" PC monitor.

Advertisement