Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscar Peterson

Options
  • 29-10-2009 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hey all.
    Can't get enough of this guy at the moment. The guy can play absolutely anything. I'm learning piano at the moment and he's just giving me so much inspiration and drive to learn it's incredible.
    I've only one album of his though, 'Night Train'.
    Can anyone recommend more stuff of his to get?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Definitely my favourite jazz pianist, and probably my favourite jazz musician - what a legend. Night Train's a great one alright. He's done some great collaborations too - check out 'Oscar Peterson Trio with Clark Terry' (amazing album, worth buying for 'Mumbles' alone), 'Ella & Oscar' if you're an Ella fan - who isn't! - and also 'Stan Getz and The Oscar Peterson Trio'. Honestly it's hard to recommend anything specific because anything he plays is gold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If you wanna watch oscar check out...
    " Norman Granz' Jazz In Montreux - Oscar Peterson Trio '77 DVD"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

Make sure to check out his interview with Andre Previn. Previn, a musical legend in his own right, is a great interviewer and gets the very best out of Oscar. Oscar comes across as a great guy - intelligent, humble and a total genius!

Here's the first part -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55wYm8csHC4

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

thanks for all the recommendations! i'll probably check them all out to be honest. i'm actually really excited about how much stuff he has out there.
    that stan getz one sounds really interesting. i heard a stan getz with kenny byron tune the other day. not sure what it was called but it was quality. must try find it and post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BloatedPope

He has an album (I can only find it on iTunes) called Walking The Line. It has a fantastic version of Just Friends.

Also since you're learning piano, check out Brad Mehldau and if you want something a little less jazzy then check out Medeski, Martin & Wood

• Advertisement
Advertisement