Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ideas to stop Windows Fogging Up

Options
  • 29-10-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hello All,

I have an X-type Jag whose windows seem to constantly fog up while driving . I have tried the A/C at all the settings and except for leaving it on all the time which i don't like doing either for various reasons,none seem to work.

Any suggestions out there would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

change pollen filter. check for leaks in the front footwell, you may have a leaking heater matrix or another leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you have a dehumidifier, run an extension lead out to the car and run it for a good while in the car.

I can't understand why your aircon has little effect, it has a dramatic and rapid effect in my car, compared to just using hot air alone. Is it working?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Whats the A/C pressure like, is there a noticable difference between low and high settings? the reason I ask is the A/C compressor might need topping up with coolant. +1 for the pollen filter also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It always annoys me in this weather to see people driving around with their windows all fogged up. Some people just do not seem to understand how their blowers work, i.e. get in to car, turn blowers on full power and full heat, wipe window with hand, car gets hot, turn off blower altogether, windows fog up, repeat - just drives me mad.

Think of it like your heating system at home - do you turn it on max heat until you're sweating and turn off until you're freezing again? No! You leave on a constant heat, normally 21C. Similarly in a car I find if I set the temp to an ambient level and leave the blowers on low the car never fogs up and temp is constant. Increase blower if you have more passengers and if using A/C check your gas / filters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I'd run with heater matrix leak or pipe worn.

Had this on a car before it will cost to fix.

Windows shouldn't fog up with A/C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

Lads, you'll have to excuse my low-tech idea here.

I used to get really annoyed as the bathroom mirror would always steam up as I was shaving... grrrr.... when somebody suggested cleaning the mirror with pure fairy-liquid(not mixed with water). Wiping it on with a cloth and polishing it in. (I'm assuming most people on this site wouldn't need any tips on how to apply a polish like substance to a smooth surface anyhow.)

Notice how hot glassware out of the wash basin doesn't get steamed up.

You could try this... lower tech approach no doubt, but cheap if it works. personally I haven't tried it in the car, but it works a treat in the bathroom.

Good luck with whatever solution you find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

I heard somewhere that if you apply WD40 to a mirror it wont fog up. Maybe try it on the windows and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Condensation is forming because there is too much moisture in the cabin. You need to address why this moisture is there in there first place. It's either due to poor ventilation or a leak.

You need to cure the disease - not the symptom.

Colm's suggestions are a good starting point.

Advertisement