Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone know of any upcoming mma competitions or fights i can get

Options
  • 29-10-2009 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

i am 75kg and want a fight does anyone know were i can try get one please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Surely your coach could get you a fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 charlieogrady

new club and he isnt sure bout them he is from poland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

There are a couple of fights on every month or two all around the country. THE EFR do a 'amateur' tournament very often, you could look for a fight here. The level of experience you have is important. If you're training less than a year without prior experience in Boxing or similar I recommend you start in the MMALEAGUE.com. All you have to do is fill out a form online and pay the entrance fee to participate. If Carlzberg did MMA stepping stones they'd be a copy of MArk Leonard's league.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

If Carlzberg did MMA stepping stones they'd be a copy of Mark Leonard's league.

LOL. Funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭juijitsu black

COOL!!!! At last, some with comon sence. A guy who is looking for his own fights. If you training hard and are ready to fight your in the right place. just look up all the threads and leave a responce or email the promoters. I would not bother with MMA League as this is only good for Ju Jitsu guys, Its a great promo, and run really well with good guys, but in my opinion only for Ju Jitsu. you should try Roper, He is running a show in Dec in Dublin, I had a fight on his bill last year and it was GREAT!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

MMA league is a great place to start even if u are a strike,it'll def help ur grapplin and takedown defense because u will be forced to grapple because u cant strike to the head,great place to start and if u are experience enter into the advanced section some good guys in it and u will learn a lot and make plenty of contacts too,highly recommend it

i want to keep it standin as much as i can.. so league isnt great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

MMA league will help you practise to keep it standing-fighters should not organise there own fights, get your coach to get his finger out and start getting to know promoters, there is other foreign coaches that run clubs and put the effort in to getting fighters fights.

Your job is to fight, his job is to get fights and train you, if he cant do that then id suggest getting a new club, all clubs start having to get to know promoters so he needs to take charge.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Just so we're clear, it would have to be an exceptional circumstance for me to accept an application to fight from a fighter not his coach, and a 19 year old novice is not one of those situations.

If you're looking to fight Charlie you'll need to get your coach to contact me as I'll need an assesment of your level from him so you can be matched off properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I would not bother with MMA League as this is only good for Ju Jitsu guys, Its a great promo, and run really well with good guys, but in my opinion only for Ju Jitsu.

This is complete rubbish.

The first time any one from our club fought was on the league. All we knew was Kickboxing and out of 4 fights on the first day came away with 1 win, 2 draws and 1 loss. The MMA League is the best way for young fighters to get a taste of MMA competetion in a safe relaxed enviroment.
    Go to the League a few times meet the people out there that put on the Shows and when your ready to step up to competing infront of crowds in a ring youll know who to contact.

• Advertisement

i would get a new club but the only club where i live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Hi Charlie,

I would strongly suggest you compete in the league before you try and do any other level of mma fight. MMA the kind of sport that you dont want to rush into. Learn parts of the whole game, standing, clinch,take downs and ground before even thinking about doing a higher level fight.

Personally I competed in the league on and off over 3years before I even thought of doing a B class fight. I won as many as lost in the league but def learned valuable experience that you cant get in a training enviroment. My advice go to some shows in ireland and try out the league your still very young and have plenty of time. Dont rush things and you will enjoy the sport much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Campbell M

This is complete rubbish.

The first time any one from our club fought was on the league.

This is true for us also. Every pro fighter we have fought their first (mma) fight in the MMA league.

i have foght in jiu jitsu tornament
    and boxing
    and currently traning in tae kwon do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

i want to keep it standin as much as i can.. so league isnt great

If you are trying to work a stand up game plan then the League is the perfect place to start.

Keeping a fight standing has more to do with footwork and clinch than it does striking, though people that don't understand MMA are often unaware of this. Of course the threat of being kneed/punched/kicked in the head makes your opponent more wary of when he goes for takedown. This means in the League fighters go for takedowns and to enter clinch more often, which means - more practice for the striker to stay on his feet!

To be honest, I have heard from a couple of clubs over the years about the League being "Just for grapplers", these people have always been folks who just didn't get what MMA was, and their results in subsequent C/B/A class matches were worse than fighters who went through a year or two in the League first.

Charlie O'Grady, give me a call and I might be able to explain how getting fights works a bit better than can be done on here - 087 2037 926

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Most commonly heard phrase at the MMA League- "It would be different with headshots", most commonly heard phrase after C class debut- "It wasn't different with headshots"

The League has it's limitiations as does every competition format but if you want to test your ability to keep the fight standing without getting your face messed up, this is the competition for you. Look around the pro ranks right now and you'll see a lot of league veterans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Mark and Barry speak the truth.
    I made more or less the same ‘League is for Grapplers’ arguments back in the day when the League started first. I was wrong. If you aren’t able to keep a League fight standing then the chances of you being able to keep an A/B/C class fight on the feet are pretty slim.

thanks for the help cause only startin and wanna make the best moves i can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I agree about the footwork and clinch

But guys the league is defo better for someone with strong grappling skills.

I'm sure if you look at the most common wins leaving disqualifications out it has to be submissions other than wins by striking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭theT

Jason Mc wrote: »
    I agree about the footwork and clinch

But guys the league is defo better for someone with strong grappling skills.

I'm sure if you look at the most common wins leaving disqualifications out it has to be submissions other than wins by striking

Fair point but you would have to agree that someone making there MMA debut with no grappling experience or experience defending take downs is going to pretty much get owned against anyone with have a knowledge of BJJ or wrestling, even out and out strikers need to be able to stop a takedown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I dont think wins or losses in the league really count for that much in the grand scheme of things. The whole point is to gain MMA competition experience. Dealing with nerves, and dealing with being in uncomfortable situations. I always try and compete against people who are better than me in whatever discipline, its the only way to really get better.

So what if the "league favours grapplers" what you will learn fighting better grapplers is how to be a better grappler yourself and this can only stand to you in your future MMA career.

Most fighters learn more from a loss anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Im going to close this thread, the op wanted to know how he can get fights, i've advised him as have others to try the league and get his coach looking for fights for him, i would not deal with an individual to be on my show unless he ran his own club and dont believe other promoters should either as its only asking for problems..

if a club cant organise fights then there not a very good club in my opinion and either clueless or lazy.

Anyway the op has been answered and thats the end of it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement