Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registering your "full name.ie" pro's / con's

Options
  • 29-10-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

hi all
    i want to get a website or two up and running for myself. mainly promoting myself as a must have for any employer :-)

i dont know what path i will travel down employment/businness wise for 2010 as a career change is thrust upon me, like a lot of people i suppose.

to get a non personal .ie domain there seems to be all sorts of registering biz names with cro.ie etc. i dont know if i will become self employed or some dream employer will snap me up.

so the safest bet is my own name.ie

is this a good way to go or are there any disadvantages to it

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SunshineCyclist

Can't see any huge disadvantages. I used to have a personal website, a link to which was included on my cv, with details/samples of my projects etc on it. It's a great resource for employers to get to know you that bit better, however it is another opportunity for an employer to screen you so it has to be good.

If you end up working for yourself, a website is a good idea anyway, so i can't see where you'd lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I agree, I reckon the only disadvantage is that if it's bad then you'll be unlikely to get an interview.

They're kinda expensive too (unless you were lucky enough to get one for €10 when Blacknight.com were doing a sale :) Thanks Blacknight! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

If you want to register your own personal name that's allowed according to the rules set out by the IEDR so you should have little problem there. They can be a little pernickety about how the spelling of your name on any docs you send into them.

You will be asked to submit scanned documentation like a passport and utility bill. You won't have to register a business name or anything like that.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

For personal sites I don't really see benefits in .ie domains. More issues and more expenses. Go for a generic extension like .com, .net. Or, perhaps, even .info, .ws, .eu or something more exotic where your chosen domain name may still be free. You can register a lot of different extensions, really. .ie is important for organizations but for private use you can have a not any less prominent Web site with any extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

none is right. For personal use websites its best to have a generic extension compared to the .ie. They are cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

HandWS LTD wrote: »
    none is right. For personal use websites its best to have a generic extension compared to the .ie.

Why?

You can register yourfullname.ie simply providing a utility bill or ID, so it's not that hard to do

If you're using a domain to promote yourself to a potential employer then a .ie domain would indicate that:
    • You were Irish
    • You didn't throw it together in 5 minutes
    • You were serious about doing it (see above)

Of course if you just wanted to put a personal calling card online then a .tel would be the way to go (the integration with the iPhone is very slick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Blacknight wrote: »
    Why?

Its only an opinion. We know its not that hard to do. There would be lots of arguements for and against.

More and more people have been moving away from the .ie because of the price....a few years ago it was 70 quid, now dropped down to around 25 quid. Plus if the potential employer is or isn't irish and looking via the .com in google, yahoo, bing etc you'll have a better chance of being found in both the .com and .ie of those search engines by getting an extension like .com thats hosted on an irish server.

He never said if the potential employer is irish or not.

Another vaild reason is that you may get more hits and rank better....so an employer may come across your website in the searches.

But you already know this. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The other obvious benefit of a .ie is the fact that you have to prove that you're entitled to it.

It means that someone else will find it more difficult to register a typo/mis-spelling or "cyber-squat" on a name that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Blacknight wrote: »
    Why?

You can register yourfullname.ie simply providing a utility bill or ID, so it's not that hard to do

If you're using a domain to promote yourself to a potential employer then a .ie domain would indicate that:
    • You were Irish
    • You didn't throw it together in 5 minutes
    • You were serious about doing it (see above)

Of course if you just wanted to put a personal calling card online then a .tel would be the way to go (the integration with the iPhone is very slick)

It's not that hard, but more difficult than many other extensions. And more expensive. And to that matter, it doesn't prove you're Irish, patched it up in more than 5 minutes or more serious about it than a site on any other extension. But if you're concerned that Blacknight won't get his commission, then go for .ie! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

thanks all for advice.
    I was also asking from more the use of a personal name or the "feel/impression" than whether it was .ie or .com or whatever.

from doing business with someone would you be put off if their dom name was simply their name rather than a more obvious company name.

so instead of eg. johndoe.ie would doegraphics.ie give a better impression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

davgtrek wrote: »
    thanks all for advice.
    I was also asking from more the use of a personal name or the "feel/impression" than whether it was .ie or .com or whatever.

from doing business with someone would you be put off if their dom name was simply their name rather than a more obvious company name.

so instead of eg. johndoe.ie would doegraphics.ie give a better impression.

I don't think it's an issue, because up to recently it HAD to be a business in order to have a .ie (partially what Blacknight was getting at in terms of the site not being "thrown together").

The only issue I would see is future-proofing dependent on the type of business; if it's a "personal" service business (e.g. photography, massage, councillor, etc) whereby it might put a spanner in the works if you were to hire someone later on.......someone might be expecting "John Doe" to turn up, because they had booked "John Doe".

Other than that, not a bother.

As a related aside, did you know that there are actually 2 guys called "(Gerry) Harvey and (Ian) Norman", or that there was (I think) a guy called "Sam Sung" ?

Doesn't seem to have done them any harm..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

yea. i am in process of registering the name i want with cro and hopefully i'll have no issues getting the .ie. Actually i have no choice as i have 2 domain names in mind and both are gone/already registered as .com's so it has to be .ie's for me.

i wish creating the website was as easy as sorting dom names.

thanks for feedback

Advertisement