Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Should The Next Discworld Book Be About?

• 29-10-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭

OK I realise that "Unseen Academicals" is only just out and that the next book will be "I Shall Wear Midnight", a Tiffany Aching novel and that the probable final novel will be a Moist Von Lipwig story, but I thought I'd try to get a thread going on which character people would like Pratchett's possibly last novel to be about.

Personally, when I heard a rumour that he might do a sequal to Equal Rites, I was very excited, as that was the one discworld book that didn't really seem to go anywhere after the final page. I dont think Esk is ever mentioned again in any other book and I would like to find out what happens to her and if she succeeded in what she tried to do.

Any thoughts?

Who Should The Next Discworld Book Be About? 31 votes

Vimes/Watch
    0% 0 votes
    Wizards
    51% 16 votes
    Rincewind
    3% 1 vote
    Granny Weatherwax/Witches
    6% 2 votes
    Death/Susan Sto Helit
    16% 5 votes
    Completely New Character
    9% 3 votes
    Dont Care, it's all good
    9% 3 votes
    Other, Please Specify
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wait, last novel?
    what?

also, vimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Poll added.
    wait, last novel?
    what?

As far as I know, the next two novels planned are a Tiffany Aching novel and possibly a Moist Von Lipwig one. Given that Terry has early onset Alzheimers and is having problems type writing and driving (he is using a dictation program to "type" the Tiffany Aching book) I dont think he will do many more books (:().

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PeteyMax

Rincewind, deffinitly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

a new moist one would be good. Making money was good, but im not sure where a new story would go from there without just copypasting elements from the last two

Im a total sucker for vimes though. I'd love another watch book

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Poll added.

As far as I know, the next two novels planned are a Tiffany Aching novel and possibly a Moist Von Lipwig one. Given that Terry has early onset Alzheimers and is having problems type writing and driving (he is using a dictation program to "type" the Tiffany Aching book) I dont think he will do many more books (:().

Don't see why he can't just keep plowing on, although Unseen Academicals did have a few sentences that didn't really make sense. But with dictation devices, hired researchers and a good editor I don't see why he can't keep em coming. In the earlier to middle books didn't he have "Terry Pratchett was born in 1944 and still isn't dead" on the dustjackets? Hopefully that will remain true for some time to come.

But in answer, I'd like to see some new character with some take on modern politics, economics or the like in the background. After all, topical madness is his strong suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

mawk wrote: »
    a new moist one would be good. Making money was good, but im not sure where a new story would go from there without just copypasting elements from the last two

Im a total sucker for vimes though. I'd love another watch book

I found making money enjoyable but quite similar to going postal.

I know there's been 4 books about the watch so far but really think Vimes is a great character and Nobby really deserves to be in a TV adaption !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I'd love to see Vimes introducing young Sam to the Watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I know there's been 4 books about the watch so far but really think Vimes is a great character and Nobby really deserves to be in a TV adaption !

Try Eight.

Men at Arms, Guards! Guards!, Feet of Clay, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Jingo, Thud!, and another one I can't remember but definitely exists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

monsterous regiment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'd love to see another book with Carcer in it, a genuinely entertaining bad guy! And of course that means more Vimes.

Failing that, just another Vimes/Watch book.

Third choice would be Rincewind, was my favourite until Vimes stole the show.

Not a fan of the Tiffany ones, she's like a watered down version of Susan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement