Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Screed

Options
  • 29-10-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Just before I place my order for my finished floor screed, I was wondering if anyone could recommend what type of screed to get an a supplier for the screed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Have you got underfloor heating/ what depth and area are you covering and how soon do you want to put your final floor covering on it. Will they be tiles or floating floor

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to the C & P forum

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

cubix wrote: »
    Have you got underfloor heating/ what depth and area are you covering and how soon do you want to put your final floor covering on it. Will they be tiles or floating floor

Yes I have underfloor

It will be a combination or tiles and semisolid boards.

I have 175mm to play with, and suspect that I will use between 110 - 125 of that with insulation (to make up my .15 ground uvalue). So that would leave me with 50mm - 65mm screed.

So I was just looking for a recommendation on screeds from the various flo screed companies out there. As I am unsure which would be the best one that strikes the blance of price, storing heat and releasing heat.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

IMO it depends on how you want your UFH to work. Its basically down to personal choice.

If you imagine your slab / screen is a large radiator then a thin screen will heat up quickly and loose heat quickly. A thicker screed 75mm - 100mm will take longer to heat up fully but will take longer to loose heat.

If your UFH is heated by heat pump then above is important, as you might want to heat the screen on cheaper night rate electricity.

I used a sand cement screed and it works fine. A number of flo screens can be laid thinner but they usually cost alot more than sand cement screed. (50mm is about minimum for sand cement screed but could crack, 75mm is a more stardard depth.)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

I suppose the main question here is do flo screeds actually retain heat?

I've been told by all the suppliers I've contacted that this is what they were designed for. Conduct the heat quickly from Underfloor and store it for gradual release. But this is a sales pitch and I just wanted to try and get past that and figure out the best option.

Personally I don't have any preference, but I am restricted by my 175mm, I can go with 110mm - 125mm insulation depending on the board I pick and gain the same insulation results. So I just need to be sure that I pick the right screed to compliments the underfloor and heatpump.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement