Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

iPod Connection

Options
  • 29-10-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I have an 08 Golf and I was wondering if it's possible to get a connection through the audio system for my iPod. I'm fed up using transmitters which I find are useless, even the more expensive ones.

If anyone has had this done, what did you pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

brian076 wrote: »
    I have an 08 Golf and I was wondering if it's possible to get a connection through the audio system for my iPod. I'm fed up using transmitters which I find are useless, even the more expensive ones.

If anyone has had this done, what did you pay?

http://www.jdmproducts.com/index.php?cpage=my_car/my_car.php&area=my_car&my_car_show=3&my_car_id=&car_model_id=502&car_make_id=58

Had a Dension Gateway 100 fitted to a Passat a couple of months. Think it's the same RCD300 radio as you probably have with your Golf.

Connection charges the I-Pod and you can control the tracks via the Head Unit - I-Pod comes up as a CD changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I fitted one of these into a MKV Golf 2 weeks ago, you can add an optional BT hand free kit onto it too. Good piece of Kit, easy to install, charges the 3G and 3Gs iPhones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Just changed to a 06 golf GTi and needed hands free, sat nav and ipod connectivity so ended up going for an all in one solution made specifically for VW so it just replaces the existing double din head unit perfectly..
    Getting the reversing camera fitted for it next week hopefully.

avic_f9110_bt_gallery.jpg

avicf9110bt_vw_golf_v_gallery.jpg

Love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I know someone who got an iPod connection installed on an 07 Golf. The iPod connected through a cable in his glove box. It cost him about €300 and he had no way of scrolling through his songs with it. He could only play though by skipping forward and backwards though his entire music library. He got it done in a Volkswagen dealership and was not very pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Homer wrote: »
    Just changed to a 06 golf GTi and needed hands free, sat nav and ipod connectivity so ended up going for an all in one solution made specifically for VW so it just replaces the existing double din head unit perfectly..
    Getting the reversing camera fitted for it next week hopefully.

avic_f9110_bt_gallery.jpg

avicf9110bt_vw_golf_v_gallery.jpg

Love it :)

Hi Homer,

How much did it set you back?

• Advertisement

I know someone who got an iPod connection installed on an 07 Golf. The iPod connected through a cable in his glove box. It cost him about €300 and he had no way of scrolling through his songs with it. He could only play though by skipping forward and backwards though his entire music library. He got it done in a Volkswagen dealership and was not very pleased with it.

Exactly why I ended up biting the bullet and forking out €1400 installed to get that pioneer unit.
    It may seem dear but at that price for the poor iPod solution and then separate hands free and sat nav costs and unsightly gadgetry on display I reckoned it wasn't that bad a deal. Throw in 7" screen, DVD player and vastly improved sound from the new headunit vs the standard one and I convinced myself it was money well spent. I spend a lot of time in the car so felt it was a good investment.
    As I mentioned the reversing camera can be connected up also and it displays as soon as you engage reverse.

Forgot to mention the iPod integrates really well and plays any video you have on the iPod as well as full track info and album art etc
    even replicated the iPod controls on the touchscreen.
    Wirelessly copied accross all my contacts from my iPhone so you can search for contacts from the headunit or see missed calls and dialled lists etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Parrot MKi9200 is worth a look. About 300 would get it fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

I installed an xcarlink to my passat. www.xcarlink.co.uk.
    I worked very well on my Ipod Video 60GB but my new G5 Nano doesn't have the same functionallity. It cost about €80 and I fitted it myself. I could control the ipos thru my car stereo and it charged it. I used a nokia phone holder with the custom fitting bracket to hold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Donie75 wrote: »
    I installed an xcarlink to my passat. www.xcarlink.co.uk.
    I worked very well on my Ipod Video 60GB but my new G5 Nano doesn't have the same functionallity. It cost about €80 and I fitted it myself. I could control the ipos thru my car stereo and it charged it. I used a nokia phone holder with the custom fitting bracket to hold it.

How easy or fiddely was it to install Donie, I was going to get a Denison Ice gateway from JDM fitted for about €200, but would be interested in this if it's not a pain to install?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Donie75

It's easy, just remove the dash facia around the stereo, remove 4 screws (star keys, I think), pull the stereo out, plug lead into CD socket, attach the earth lead to the back panel of the radio using a small screw. I think I put the small box behind the facia on the passenger side of the centre console and fed the lead up the back. I have the lead coming out on the passenger side of the console down low. Refit the stereo, etc. Full instructions are included.

You won't see the tracks on your radio but if you select an album/playlist from your ipod you can use the forward & backwards buttons to change track. Also, I have my bluetooth carkit connected to the mute on the stereo and it pauses the ipod when it rings. The sound is excellent and it charges it. You just press the CD button twice to select the ipod. The display will show your first 4 or 6 playlists also.

I think it's £75stg so it's probably the best value hard wired option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think the iPod adapters are an expensive and limited solution.

A better option is to get a complete iPod friendly head unit. Some of them like the JVC KD-R601 cost little more than some of the interface kits.

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=KDR601

Advertisement