Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 5 series GT

Options
  • 29-10-2009 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭

Ye or ne?

Its a bit pricey IMO - the diesel (no 520d available, only the 530d) lists at €69630 for the entry level SE.

Its not the greatest looking machine i've ever seen BMW produce.

I personally think that it will go down in Ireland about as well as a fart in a spacesuit.

Along the Audi's A5 Sportback, i think its all a bit pointless. If you want a 5 series with a bit of room, buy a 5 series tourer. If you want a nice, comfortable Auto saloon, with a bit of spec, and that looks nice, buy a Jag XF. The Jag 3.0d Premium Luxury is almost 8k cheaper than the 5 GT, and a much better car IMO.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

bmw-5-series-gt-19.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Really ugly car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Its the answer to a question that nobody asked.

Utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Someone might want one, most won't. Same with the X6 - very limited appeal to the mass market, but there are still some people around with more money than sense (seen at least 2 X6's on the Road).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Is it wrong that I kind of like the X6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I don't know what it is but I sort of like it.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

From the heres what i saw thread. Its even worse looking in non-press photos
    SuprSi wrote: »
    First one of these I've seen in the flesh, and it's just as ugly as in the pictures. Having said that, I thought the wheels were nice, as was the interior, and I guess the front isn't too bad either.

DSC003141.jpg

DSC003131.jpg

DSC003121.jpg

DSC003151-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

My eyes my eyes !!!!!

Thats a dreadful looking car.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you should have added a poll if you wanted answers....

but it's a disgusting car!
    VolvoMan wrote: »
    I don't know what it is but I sort of like it.:o
    It's a car! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The A5 Hunchback is much better looking, but probably an inferior drive. This is quite simply a niche too far, worst-looking BMW in the current range...

I can't see any redeeming features. The only people I can see buying this are current BMW-drivers who need the practicality or want something different but don't want to change marque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

they're starting to look more like vans these days.

Mods can add a poll if they want...

It reminds me of this -

beached%20whale.jpg

How can they call it GT when its taller than the 5 series its parked beside.

Got this from Wikipedia
    A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.
    The term derives from the Italian phrase gran turismo, homage to the tradition of the grand tour, used to represent automobiles regarded as grand tourers, able to make long-distance, high-speed journeys in both comfort and style. The English translation is grand touring; the French is grand tourisme

A two door coupe. This more like the Ford MAX's or the golf PLUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It looks like a shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it was priced at about 35k and sized and marketed as a kind of 3 series 'verso' (to use toyota terminology) with a 2.0d engine, then they might sell a few but at 70k, Id be surprised if they actually sell 10 of them this year.

mickdw wrote: »
    If it was priced at about 35k and sized and marketed as a kind of 3 series 'verso' (to use toyota terminology) with a 2.0d engine, then they might sell a few but at 70k, Id be surprised if they actually sell 10 of them this year.

You got your 1 and 0 the wrong way round.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

How can they call it GT when its taller than the 5 series its parked beside.
    They must have employed the same marketing company who came up with the Passat CC which is neither a coupe or a convertible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Lads like it or loath it the 5GT will most probably be a success.

The x6 which is hated here seems to be a run away success in its key markets often outstripping supply.

Taken from a Middle Eastern Business rag....

"Sales of the new BMW X6 in the Middle East since its launch in March 2008 has exceeded supply in a number of key markets, the carmaker has reported. So far this year, the company has sold 1,259 units of the X6 across the region, already nearly selling out its full year's production allocation"

While X6 sales in general seem to be on the up !

No offence but just because a few lads on an internet forum in Ireland jump to the conclusion they don't like it sight unseen bar a few photos - doesn't really mean they will sell exactly 0 of them.

How many of us here actually believe we are the target market for this ?

Who is the target, exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

steve06 wrote: »
    It's a car! :D

Took me a while to understand that but now I see what you mean. I suppose it was a badly worded post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Who is the target, exactly?

More than likely.....

Blind_Traveler.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's not great looking but is a nice car inside. I'm not sure why they called it the 5 series GT when it is 7 series based. It makes it look expensive for what it is.
    As a cheap 7 series 'hatchback' its a bit niche, but is nicer than an SUV imo. It should have been called the 7 series touring.

Advertisement