Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance write off question

Options
  • 29-10-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My wife rammed my 01 celica into another car at an intersection, she was at fault, guards summoned to the scene etc.. Just heard from the garage that the insurance inspector has deemed the car a non economic repair ie a write off. It's my first time making a claim let alone dealing with a write off, my insurance policy is comprehensive.

I've read previous posts on boards.ie about calling up dealers to determine the car's market value, my car had only 47k on it, leather, sunroof, toyota 17 inch alloys, climate control, basically fully loaded and a full toyota service history. I'm mentioning these things cause come selling time i was going to use all this to show that it was a tad above the standard celicas and jap imports on carzone. I'm worried these guys are going to rip me off on the estimate.

Any advice or tips on how to approach the situation and bargain for good compensation? Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Moe

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You'll be offered a trade price based on an average car. It's up to you to try and negotiate anything higher.

The car is 8 years old however, and nice and all as extras and fsh are, they don't add an awful lot in terms of the value.

Best of luck with the negotiations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

+1

The key to this is haggle hard and don't be pushed around by your insurance co.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had a similar situation last year with FBD, their opening offer was €7k and we settled later that day on €10k. Be prepared, be persuasive, and be friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

One thing to bear in mind is how much you had the car insured for....ie when you took the policy out how much did you tell them the car is worth?

They won't pay out more than this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Anan1 wrote: »
    I had a similar situation last year with FBD, their opening offer was €7k and we settled later that day on €10k. Be prepared, be persuasive, and be friendly.

Absolutely.... be Friendly.. best piece of advice here when negoiating... you want the claims handler to like you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moe7

Thanks for all the replies, car was initially insured for 10k , thats not what i'm looking for but i dont want them to offer me 6 either, hopefully we'll see eye to eye, and thanks for the being nice tip, will be an angel

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A quick look reveals 01 Celicas ranging in asking price from €6-€11k.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moe7

A quick look reveals 01 Celicas ranging in asking price from €6-€11k.

I think anyone asking for than 9 is in lala land, all i'm saying is my car would be in the higher price bracket, i hope these guys dont offer me 6-7k cause i believe i would of got more for it

Advertisement