Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick pre-NCT service required

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi all

I have NCT on Saturday, and need to get a pre-NCT done somewhere. The car was serviced 6 months ago, so no need to worry about brakes or engine etc. I just need to check light alignment, tires, and stuff like that.

One tricky thing, the back door locking mechanism has just gone, so i cant open back doors - reckon this needs a fix.

Can anyone suggest somewhere to get this taken care of? i work in sandyford, if it were possible to drop the car down to someone in the morning or at lunchtime, that would be sweet..

Any advice greatly appreciated

G

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just do the NCT and should anything need doing then get it done then. No point (IMO) getting a pre-NCT as it won't guarantee a pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The best NCT check is the NCT itself, let them tell you what needs fixing before spending money on what might fail and then it fails for something else anyway.

Ok things like headlight alignment and new tyres (if required) can be done at any tyre centre but I would not mention you are doing the NCT as sometimes when that is mentioned other things suddenly need replacing. ;)

Regarding the broken door lock, this more than likely is a fail so it might be worth finding a replacement part from a scrap yard. Cannot recommend a place however as I'm not from the area.

So to summarise just send it through and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

kbannon wrote: »
    Just do the NCT and should anything need doing then get it done then. No point (IMO) getting a pre-NCT as it won't guarantee a pass!
    A lot of people do this. You get a good checklist of things to be done.
    Pre-NCT check is no guarantee that you will get through.
    Get the car serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

pre nct is a scam seriously i got my car done years ago and the guy changed a load of stuff that didn't need doing . best thing to do is put the car in the nct if fails you get a list of whats wrong

hope that helped

A lot of people do this. You get a good checklist of things to be done.
    Pre-NCT check is no guarantee that you will get through.
    Get the car serviced.

But the OP stated that the car was only serviced 6 months ago, I'd doubt getting a service again will make any difference to the outcome of the NCT.

Headlight alignment and new tyres would not be part of a typical service and mentioning the NCT when getting a car service is a open licence to have parts replaced that may not need replacing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Thanks folks

- just on the back door locking mechanism issue i have, does anyone know how i should go about getting this done? I suspect the locking mechanism in the back door is kaput, but cant be sure.

- also, I'm pretty sure the tires are grand, how can i check my light alignment without going to a garage? Any tips?

Thanks again..

geuro wrote: »
    Thanks folks

- just on the back door locking mechanism issue i have, does anyone know how i should go about getting this done? I suspect the locking mechanism in the back door is kaput, but cant be sure.

- also, I'm pretty sure the tires are grand, how can i check my light alignment without going to a garage? Any tips?

Thanks again..

Maybe a stupid question with an obviouse answer but sometimes the easiest answer fixes the problem. Did you check if the child lock has been switched on the rear door?

You could try and do the headlight alignment yourself but it's a bit tricky without the proper equipment. To be honest it only costs around €20 - €25 to get sorted professionally.

Thanks bazz - yeah it's often the simplest thing that you forget to check, but unfortunately the child lock is not the problem on this occasion. I reckon for 20 quid i'll pop in to a garage and have the light alignment checked for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Fast fit offer a free safety check. They'll check brakes, lights, etc for free. That's about as far as I'd go tbh.

Wory about what needs to be done if it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

dont bother with a pre cehck! dont bother getting anything done, bar maybe the lock fixed!

• Advertisement

thanks for the fast fit tip drummerboy.

I need to get this door locking problem fixed - i have had a ring around a few places (fast fit, sandyford motors) and been told they dont do stuff like that. I'm driving a 2001 Seat Leon. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Advertisement