Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car advise?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I have a friend who is looking at purchasing an older 96 Golf, 1.4 Petrol with 78,000 on the clock from a friend who he works with. He is learning to drive and it will be his first car. He wants me to drive it for him before he purchases it as he has no insurance yet. I was hoping some experts here might have some tips on what to look out for in this model Golf? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

one rule I have.. never buy/sell cars from/to friends.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

robtri wrote: »

Would it make a difference if the friend was a foreign national moving back to her country of origin? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Would it make a difference if the friend was a foreign national moving back to her country of origin? :)

Yes. It's probably never been serviced in that case (girl driving an ancient car I mean, not the foreign national bit). Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get a mechanic to check the car over. If the car is mechanically sound then it could be a good buy for a learner driver at the right price irrespective of who is selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

I absolutely agree. You can't win. Find another car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

and those 1.4 90's golfs are shyte.

and those 1.4 90's golfs are shyte.

Do you mean shyte like boring? or shyte like mechanically unsound? It would be the guys first car and he's not really into cars in the first place. So boring would probably suit him fine.

Thanks for all the advise!

It's an almost 14 year old car, there is no such thing as a reliable brand at that age. Judge the car on it's own merit so that is why it is important to have it checked over by a mechanic.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's an almost 14 year old car, there is no such thing as a reliable brand at that age. Judge the car on it's own merit so that is why it is important to have it checked over by a mechanic.

Personally I agree, but I think my friend is on a tight budget and he doesn't want to pay any more money than he has to (short sighted I know!). Anyway after some Googling I found a nice generic check list that fits on one A4 page. I'll just try to go through it as thoroughly as I can can and advise my friend my opinion doesn't come with a warranty!

Personally I agree, but I think my friend is on a tight budget and he doesn't want to pay any more money than he has to (short sighted I know!). Anyway after some Googling I found a nice generic check list that fits on one A4 page. I'll just try to go through it as thoroughly as I can can and advise my friend my opinion doesn't come with a warranty!

False economy imo but your friend will pay his money and take his chances. Personally I think he is mad to even consider buying a 13/14 year old car without having somebody who knows their way around cars looking at it first.

• Advertisement

Do you mean shyte like boring? or shyte like mechanically unsound? It would be the guys first car and he's not really into cars in the first place. So boring would probably suit him fine.

Thanks for all the advise!

I mean, 1.4 petrol mk3 golfs are shyte - mechanically.
    The diesel versions were better in the mk3.

+1

and never relations/family......:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

I have a 96 1.4 litre golf estate, i bought it on adverts a while back. Engine perfect, body very clean. 140,000 on the clock
    Starts first turn of the key.
    No smoke.
    Temp never goes above halfway.
    Not burning oil.
    Good on fuel.
    I have pulled a car transporter behind it and driven about 2000 miles in the car since i got it without a problem.
    All i have done ischange one wheel bearing which is just due to normal wear and tear.

Why spend a fortune on your first(your friends) car.
    If its cheap tell your friend to go for it.
    We havent all got the money to buy new cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

cascade35 wrote: »
    ...96 1.4 litre golf estate...140,000 on the clock...pulled a car transporter behind it...

picard-facepalm.jpg

Its gonna be towing the trailer with an astra van on it tomorrow, nerves of steel i have lol

Its gonna be towing the trailer with an astra van on it tomorrow, nerves of steel i have lol

Totally illegal and you could kill someone you know you tool!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

World class idiocy.

Totally illegal and you could kill someone you know you tool!:mad:

How do u work that one out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

you cant tow a double axel trailer with a car.

[EMAIL="F@ck"]F@ck[/EMAIL] i never knew that. Right well then i deserve the comments made, Looks like im gonna have to invest in a Transit van so.

Astra van can stay where it is for now.

Thanks guys for pointing out the errors of my ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

[EMAIL="F@ck"]F@ck[/EMAIL] i never knew that. Right well then i deserve the comments made, Looks like im gonna have to invest in a Transit van so.

Astra van can stay where it is for now.

Thanks guys for pointing out the errors of my ways.

If you look at anything on the road towing a 2 axel trailer its usually a 4x4 etc...
    Need power (torque), suitable brakes and gearbox to that sort of job safely. Things that a 96 1.4 golf do not have! Not even the 1.9 TDI! :eek:

Glad we got to you before the Guards or Newton did! :)

Ya so am I. Just amazed ive never been stopped before for this, have passed guards on many an occasion and they havent even looked at me.

Advertisement