Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo to be sold to the Chinese

Options
  • 29-10-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Volvo are falling under Chinese ownership, Geely look to be buying the brand.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/244228/geely_to_buy_volvo.html

A step in the wrong direction imo.. for us Europeans anyways, on the other hand will Volvo's reputation for safety rub off on Chinese domestic models which perform terrible in road safety tests?

Saying all that autoexpress who are the motoring equivilent of The Sun newspaper seem to be the only ones running this story at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Given the Chinese experience todate- it probably means they'll simply box the entire assembly lines in Belgium and ship them home, and no-one will ever hear of them ever again........??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd have thought they already copied it and called it Bolvo.
    Oh and it was made from aluminium sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd give em a chance. Look what the Indian's done to Jaguar with the XF.

They cant be that bad.

Can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They cant be that bad.

Can they?

like they say in Panto..............'oh yes they can ! ' :D

I have seen 4 Chinese cars in recent times. Unbelievably bad. Makes Dacia's look like McLaren.

No rust prevention, 'Halford' switches for everything, absolutely unbelievably, shockingly poor welding and paint.

Brakes from the ......80's, no, '60's.

No concept of quality whatsoever. Door seals, locks, panel fit. Water absolutely pissing in, on a wet day.

The Datsun 120Y was an ICBM in comparison, quality and engineering-wise.

Buying Volvo might do something for Geely in China, as a +, but I can assure you bolting on the word 'China' to Volvo will send it only one way around here..........and it ain't pretty.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

They cant be that bad.

Well Tata seem the most ambitious of the Indian manfacturers and may be aware of the necessity of retaining the value of the brands they bought. As for Geeley - haven't a clue...

Saab seem to have more sympathetic owners in the Koenigsegg consortium. Which is kind of ironic...

Pity in a way, Ford didn't do that bad a job with Volvo IMO.

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    like they say in Panto..............'oh yes they can ! ' :D

I have seen 4 Chinese cars in recent times. Unbelievably bad. Makes Dacia's look like McLaren.

No rust prevention, 'Halford' switches for everything, absolutely unbelievably, shockingly poor welding and paint.

Brakes from the ......80's, no, '60's.

No concept of quality whatsoever. Door seals, locks, panel fit. Water absolutely pissing in, on a wet day.

The Datsun 120Y was an ICBM in comparison, quality and engineering-wise.

Buying Volvo might do something for Geely in China, as a +, but I can assure you bolting on the word 'China' to Volvo will send it only one way around here..........and it ain't pretty.

Perhaps it'll open the opportunity for another Scandinavian or European marque to step up and become a new flag bearer? Volvo has never really had the 'status' here that it has on the rest of the continent- the reason Geely are interested- is purely for this status. They currently have a reputation in China for selling Fiat and Peugeot knock-offs cheaply to the local populace- this purchase would seemingly allow them offer a luxury marque to more discerning punters. Would a wealthy Chinese customer translate into a middle class European one? Who knows......

Volvo has already been badly devalued as a result of its relationship with Ford (many people view it as barely a difference from a Mazda- indeed its on a common platform). Its stature as a luxury brand has been badly tarnished- the latest Geely proposal, is simply the next rung down a slippery slope.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Aren't the Chinese makers awash with money, and supplying the biggest world market? I would see this as their way of creaming Volvo technology for their own cars while allowing Volve the financial backing to grow...but I am a bit naive:D

EPM wrote: »
    Aren't the Chinese makers awash with money, and supplying the biggest world market? I would see this as their way of creaming Volvo technology for their own cars while allowing Volve the financial backing to grow...but I am a bit naive:D

The only 'Volvo' technology worth creaming- is the electrics- and this has already been pilfered by the Ford group for cross-platform rollout........

Most of the other 'technology'- be it SIPS, ABS etc- has been around most of the last 20 years, there has only been limited progress in the technology most people perceive to be present in Volvo over the past few years.

Anything worth copying/pilfering- has been lifted years ago........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

bazz26 wrote: »
    Looks like Volvo are falling under Chinese ownership, Geely look to be buying the brand.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/244228/geely_to_buy_volvo.html

A step in the wrong direction imo.. for us Europeans anyways, on the other hand will Volvo's reputation for safety rub off on Chinese domestic models which perform terrible in road safety tests?

Saying all that autoexpress who are the motoring equivilent of The Sun newspaper seem to be the only ones running this story at the moment.
    Another one gone. imo not a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The NAC MG7 got fairly good reviews from the few english journos who reviewed it - they actually improved the engine, emissions, electrics and NVH.

(for those who don't know, it's an updated Rover 75/MG ZT built in China)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

smccarrick wrote: »
    The only 'Volvo' technology worth creaming- is the electrics- and this has already been pilfered by the Ford group for cross-platform rollout........

Most of the other 'technology'- be it SIPS, ABS etc- has been around most of the last 20 years, there has only been limited progress in the technology most people perceive to be present in Volvo over the past few years.

Anything worth copying/pilfering- has been lifted years ago........

I know the Ford link but the are still buying the tech Volvo use really which being honest they haven't perfected themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mikkael

And to think the Swedish government poured cold water on a Renault / Volvo partnership in the early '90's. I know which one I'd prefer ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

mikkael wrote: »
    And to think the Swedish government poured cold water on a Renault / Volvo partnership in the early '90's. I know which one I'd prefer ...

It was the shareholders who overwhelmingly vetoed the merger at the last minute.

Apparently it's not just Geely who are acquiring the business, but a whole consortium separate to the company. With the likes of Peter Horbury and several former Volvo execs back in place, I'm sure they won't allow the company to go too far wrong.

Other than that, I am very much opposed to this deal. I reckon it is the worst option for the company besides being put into receivership.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not as if Volvo is a pure brand. they've used engines from anyone that'll supply them, and their main selling point safety has been equalled by practically every other manufacturer.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's not as if Volvo is a pure brand. they've used engines from anyone that'll supply them, and their main selling point safety has been equalled by practically every other manufacturer.

Not really, to be honest. The only engines they ever bought in before the acquisition by Ford were the 2.5 litre VAG diesel engines. The engines in the smaller Dutch built cars were usually Renault from a component sharing agreement they had for a while. The rest of the engines were purely Volvo units and some of them had been used in models for periods of over thirty years. After Ford's takeover in fact, Ford actually started using some of Volvo's engines themselves and even used their P2 platform to underpin a lot of their cars for the American market.

Regarding safety, other manufacturers have been well able to engineer their cars to pass Euro NCAP tests but innovation in safety technology has not been something they have been doing. Over the last twenty years Volvo have developed very effective technology such as SIPS, WHIPS, IC (Inflatable Curtain airbags), ROPS (Roll-over protection), BLIS, City Safety and now they are developing a new technology to detect pedestrians and brake before they come into contact with them, which is debuting on the new S60.

So I think that argument of Volvo is quite a flawed one when you see what they have been working on in safety, while other manufacturers have been bragging how well their cars can crash into a barrier at 35KM/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Over the last twenty years Volvo have developed very effective technology ....and now they are developing a new technology to detect pedestrians and brake before they come into contact with them, which is debuting on the new S60.

Well screw that, that's Volvo off the shopping list. Unless it's going to ask the pedestrian something like.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not as if Volvo invents all safety systems though, for example, adaptive cruise control and pre-crash systems are a Japanese invention - the former being offered from the late 90's. Technology like Adaptive Highbeam Assist as seen on Mercedes Benz has nothing to do with Volvo, Renault now have an enviable safety record, Granted Renaults brief flirtation with Volvo in the 90's taught them valuable lessons.
    Point being, if Volvo doesn't do safety, someone else will. Modern cars are very safe as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

I'd hold off speculating on the buyer's identity until a more reputable source reports it...

It'd be a tragedy if it went ahead though IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The biggest mistake Volvo ever made was their attempt to compete with the Germans at their own game. They had a small but loyal customer base comprising lefty, liberal , intelligentsia types whose priority was to get Fionn and Regan to the boarding school and the odd gymkhana in Barbour jacket style chic. They threw all of that away when they compromised their core values of practicality and safety for the upper middle classes when they forgot that a huge cohort of their buyers were wannabe eco warriors. The XC90 ****ed their credibility and although it remains a sales success I'll bet a week's dole that a lot of customers will be migrating to Skoda, a brand that has taken up the mantle of "no bull**** practicality" that Volvo has abandoned. In short; Skoda is the new Volvo and I'll be eagerly awaiting Volvoman's change of moniker to Skodalover or something to the same effect.

coolbeans wrote: »
    In short; Skoda is the new Volvo and I'll be eagerly awaiting Volvoman's change of moniker to Skodalover or something to the same effect.

I highly doubt it, as I don't follow the Volvo brand for the stereotypical reasons you have outlined in your post. The likes of the 850R are what I rate the brand for, not their bog-standard 245 GL estates that the brand's image is plagued with.

• Advertisement

The biggest mistake Volvo ever made was their attempt to compete with the Germans at their own game. They had a small but loyal customer base comprising lefty, liberal , intelligentsia types whose priority was to get Fionn and Regan to the boarding school and the odd gymkhana in Barbour jacket style chic.

Lefty, liberal intelligentsia types would never put their kids into boarding school... :p

245 wrote: »
    Lefty, liberal intelligentsia types would never put their kids into boarding school... :p

Course they would. Nothing worse than an 850GLT driving hypocrite. By the way Volvoman, why didn't you consider a Volvo for your next taxi? I posted this very question on the relevant thread but you never answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Im pretty sure VolvoBoy is the taxi driver.

Isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Yes, they would and did. :o

Its all part of the image.

I highly doubt it, as I don't follow the Volvo brand for the stereotypical reasons you have outlined in your post. The likes of the 850R are what I rate the brand for, not their bog-standard 245 GL estates that the brand's image is plagued with.

Oi!!

Cars with bulletproof engineering like the 200 series (and the 444/544/120 series established the Volvo values of overengineering and higher safety standards. The 850R wasn't the first Volvo performance model you know...

Their RWD performance models were arguably more entertaining

edit:

As a 245DL owner I can safely point out that the 245GL wasn't a 'bog-standard' model!

Course they would. Nothing worse than an 850GLT driving hypocrite. By the way Volvoman, why didn't you consider a Volvo for your next taxi? I posted this very question on the relevant thread but you never answered.

That's another poster on the forum who really should be called 'Carinaboy' at this stage. For some reason he just refuses to buy a Volvo.

When you say 850 GLT driving hypocrite by the way, who do you refer to?
    Oi!!

Cars with bulletproof engineering like the 200 series (and the 444/544/120 series established the Volvo values of overengineering and higher safety standards. The 850R wasn't the first Volvo performance model you know...

Their RWD performance models were arguably more entertaining

edit:

As a 245DL owner I can safely point out that the 245GL wasn't a 'bog-standard' model!

I do appreciate the old masters of the Volvo range, particularly the 700/900 series and I like the 200 series but only the top spec models appeal to me really. I wouldn't be a fan of any of the base DL and GL spec estates to be honest.

I am aware that DL used to be the base model in the range, but didn't 'DL' later disappear, leaving GL as the base model?

That's another poster on the forum who really should be called 'Carinaboy' at this stage. For some reason he just refuses to buy a Volvo.

When you say 850 GLT driving hypocrite by the way, who do you refer to?

I do appreciate the old masters of the Volvo range, particularly the 700/900 series and I like the 200 series but only the top spec models appeal to me really. I wouldn't be a fan of any of the base DL and GL spec estates to be honest.

I'm not referring to you when I refer to 850/V70/XC90 driving hypocrites who pretend to worry about global warming. I'm focusing on the ABC1s who are often found behind the wheel of said motors yet who insist on driving their spawn 3KM down the road to Mount Anville.
    I still think you should buy an S80 though.

I'm not referring to you when I refer to 850/V70/XC90 driving hypocrites who pretend to worry about global warming. I'm focusing on the ABC1s who are often found behind the wheel of said motors yet who insist on driving their spawn 3KM down the road to Mount Anville.
    I still think you should buy an S80 though.

I know who you mean but as I said, I am not Volvoboy, who is another totally different poster you're thinking of. He is the taxi driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

My aunt's neighbour has a Bronze V70R, absolutely love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's not as if Volvo invents all safety systems though, for example, adaptive cruise control and pre-crash systems are a Japanese invention
    I read somewhere recently that it was the Accord that was the first mass produced car with hands-off and feet-off, ie autopilot. But lawyers insisted the car only do it for a max of 15 seconds otherwise Honda corp could be deemed as "driving" in the even of a crash.

Anyway, back on topic. A relative of mine is dead set on buying a brand new S40 early in 2010... is this a bad idea now I wonder?

Advertisement