Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Rosetta Bar area like at night?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭

Lo all,
    Going to the Rosetta Bar this Halloween night (fancy dress metal night: mate is gigging at it). Going up by aircoach, as my mate doesn't think it's a good idea going to Belfast in a southern reg car at Halloween.

The bar is on the Rosetta Road, near the Ormeau Road. I'm aware it's in a loylist area, but wondering is there much trouble in the pub, and is there much agro against southerns (it being a loylist area)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

the_syco wrote: »
    Lo all,
    Going to the Rosetta Bar this Halloween night (fancy dress metal night: mate is gigging at it). Going up by aircoach, as my mate doesn't think it's a good idea going to Belfast in a southern reg car at Halloween.

The bar is on the Rosetta Road, near the Ormeau Road. I'm aware it's in a loylist area, but wondering is there much trouble in the pub, and is there much agro against southerns (it being a loylist area)?

Loyalist area? :confused:

Don't know the bar itself but Rosetta and most of the surrounding area are not Loyalist. If you head a distance round Mt Merrion Ave towards Cregagh then maybe but not Rosetta Road. Theres an RC church on Rosetta....it's all mixed middle class suburbia.

No probs leaving an RoI car, and no problems in the surrounding area. We live about 5 mins away, my gf is a southern catholic with an RoI reg car and we live near a couple from Cork. Zero hassle to date. Don't get swept away by sensationalist crap about NI. If you don't come up to sing Provo songs then generally we'll let you return alive....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Loyalist area? :confused:

Don't know the bar itself but Rosetta and most of the surrounding area are not Loyalist.
    Good to know. I just know what I know from other metallers who've been up there on previous occasions, and as that's not always the truth, I thought I'd ask here.
    No probs leaving an RoI car, and no problems in the surrounding area.
    Aye, usually there'd be no problem, but since it's halloween, he's erring on the side of caution.
    We live about 5 mins away
    May see you there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Raspberryhardon

the_syco wrote: »
    Lo all,

I live in Belfast and im from Belfast you don not have any reason for caution esp at halloween thats just daft everybody like you are going out to have a good time!

Its not a loyalist area at all your car would be grand. Ive been in the bottom bar a few times it ok but its just a bar and was there a few years back for a halloween party myelf up the stairs which is probaly were your mate is gigging you will be grand and dont think every one wants to beat you up. Your very safe there dude dont freak out!

Note to all southerners please stop being paranoid about getting beaten up or robbed as most people in the North just want to get on with things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Note to all southerners please stop being paranoid about getting beaten up or robbed as most people in the North just want to get on with things.

People are allowed to be concerned if it's their first visit Raspberry. :) It comes with the territory, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. However, most, if not all Boardsies who have visited have reported back with positive experiences, and things will change with time.

How was your visit OP? Eager for another thumbs up here!

pow wow wrote: »
    People are allowed to be concerned if it's their first visit Raspberry. :) It comes with the territory, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. However, most, if not all Boardsies who have visited have reported back with positive experiences, and things will change with time.

How was your visit OP? Eager for another thumbs up here!

No I dont agree with you there Pow and it annoys the heck out of me that people still think like that in the South. Unless you have been living in a box for the last ten years you should not be concerned about coming up to Belfast.

It seems to me that Southerners are more concerned about the state of the North than people that live in it.

Anyway back on topic please.

Hope you had a good one OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

I totally agree with Raspberryhardon on this one!!!
    The people of Northern Ireland are always being put down...areas of Northern Ireland and Belfast are being put down as well and labelled as being safe and not safe!!! Belfast city centre is probably one of the safest in the UK...I would also assume much safer than Dublin!!!
    This forum should be about reassuring visitors from the south that we are a friendly bunch!!! Relatives from England and from Mayo/Dublin are always commenting to me how nice the people are here!!!
    I think a of lot southerners already feel safe venturing up here anyhows what with the cross border shopping...which will hopefully boom in the next 2 months!!! Come spend your sterling here!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

No I dont agree with you there Pow and it annoys the heck out of me that people still think like that in the South. Unless you have been living in a box for the last ten years you should not be concerned about coming up to Belfast.

It seems to me that Southerners are more concerned about the state of the North than people that live in it.

Anyway back on topic please.

Hope you had a good one OP!

The last ten years? I'm curious about the 'box' you live in where nothing of that nature ever happens.

Being concerned about ones safety in the North is not an automatic condemnation of everyone who lives here, it is based on the occasional sporadic 'incidents' which do still happen. The are rare but they do happen.

As I've said in many posts before, like any city, there are good and bad parts, and I would not say it's any less safe than Dublin etc. on that basis. People are within their rights to be concerned - the dynamic up here (which apparently doesn't exist as far as you are concerned) is something which people from ROI have no experience of. Of course they'll be concerned about it!

For the most part, bar getting my car bricked driving through the Short Strand riot a few weeks back because the PSNI didn't think it appropriate to close the road during a riot, I've had positive experiences here and have always found the people very friendly and welcoming.

However, I would reiterate, to totally dismiss peoples' concerns because you don't think they're 'fair' is very unfair of you. Belfast is a lovely city and moving forward in the right direction, but you can't totally erase the past just because it suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Rasberry - would you go wandering about down town Bagdad without ever being there before, or would you maybe stop for a second, remember you heard about some commotion there in the past and consider asking someone was it safe?

fact - I've lived in Belfast my whole life and there are area's (on both sides) that I wouldn't walk about.

The last ten years? I'm curious about the 'box' you live in where nothing of that nature ever happens.

Being concerned about ones safety in the North is not an automatic condemnation of everyone who lives here, it is based on the occasional sporadic 'incidents' which do still happen. The are rare but they do happen.

As I've said in many posts before, like any city, there are good and bad parts, and I would not say it's any less safe than Dublin etc. on that basis. People are within their rights to be concerned - the dynamic up here (which apparently doesn't exist as far as you are concerned) is something which people from ROI have no experience of. Of course they'll be concerned about it!

For the most part, bar getting my car bricked driving through the Short Strand riot a few weeks back because the PSNI didn't think it appropriate to close the road during a riot, I've had positive experiences here and have always found the people very friendly and welcoming.

However, I would reiterate, to totally dismiss peoples' concerns because you don't think they're 'fair' is very unfair of you. Belfast is a lovely city and moving forward in the right direction, but you can't totally erase the past just because it suits you.

lol....Jesus love you talk some ****e. Your a typical Southerner living up in the North and you think you know it all. Dodging bricks and riots what next rocket lauchers. Wise up and stay on topic!

Devastator wrote: »
    Rasberry - would you go wandering about down town Bagdad without ever being there before, or would you maybe stop for a second, remember you heard about some commotion there in the past and consider asking someone was it safe?

fact - I've lived in Belfast my whole life and there are area's (on both sides) that I wouldn't walk about.

So Belfast is now Bagdad??? Wiseup!

Stick to the topic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Over the last ten years it has gone from me seeing virtually no cars with Republic of Ireland number plates in Belfast...to nowadays seeing loads of them everywhere...even in areas where many readers of this forum say they should avoid!!!

Sporadics incidences of violence occur everywhere you go in the world...involving locals or visitors!!! As for sporadic incidents involving southerners in Northern Ireland...I don't particularly know what the stats are...but I have yet to see a recent news report of an alarming number of them being attacked because of where they are from!!!

As for the PSNI not closing down a road when there was a riot...if it is the riot I am thinking about it was caused by masses of people turning out to celebrate the closing down of a police station in Short Strand...ie. police withrawing their permanent presence from the area...then they have to return to it to bring back the peace!!! :)

Belfast is the 3rd most popular city for tourists in the UK after London and Edinburgh...the facts speak for itself!!! Check out the huge number of hotel bookings...its the reason why new hotels are popping up left right and centre in Belfast!!!

I'm out of this thread before I become in dire need of some medication!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭muffler

OK then. I have seen enough. This has gone completely off the rail so in everyone's interest Im locking this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement