Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus timing belt

Options
  • 29-10-2009 4:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Wondering if ya'll could offer some advice. I'm getting the timing belt changed on my 01 focus (1.4 petrol est) next week. I've asked them to change the aux drive belt while they are at it. I've checked the haynes manual and it looks like there is no need to change the water pump at the same time.

Anyone think that the water pump or anything else should be done while the timing belt is being replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Sure ya might aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Definately get the water pump changed. It's lifespan is the same as the timming belt. Check your haynes it will have the details. If you put it off and it fails it will cost the same as the timming belt change because of the labour involved. After shopping around I got the 2 jobs done for €320 + vat. Ford will cost €450 upwards for the timming belt alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

+1 on getting your water pump replaced aswel. The pump is only like 6 little bolts, the labour is probably included on the timing belt labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

There's a school of thought that suggests that the new timing belt will put extra pressure on the water pump causing it to fail within a few thousand KM of getting the belt changed....

If the water pump fails and your lucky it will just start leaking. If the water pump bearing fails the timing belt can slip off the front of it causing massive damage.

I'd also get it done for piece of mind, you don't want to be 1/2 way across the country and a €40 water pump fails!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

the water pump on a focus is not driven by the timing belt no need to worry about it,the aux belt is a stretchy belt not adjustable it would be a good idea to change this might add 30 or 40 on to the job for a genuine belt ,make sure they replace the tensioner as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Your getting mixed up it about 2 different types. His is a 01, no stretchy belt, this is on a tensioner, however the newer ones are different. He might aswel get the water pump done because the amount of labour to do that is roughly the same striping the front of the engine down to replace the timing belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Any idea of the timing belt interval on the 1.8TDci model Focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

i did the one on my own car and it's nov 01 ,parts man in ford said they were all the same 98-04 ,although the car had only 50 k miles on it the rolller on the tensioner was about to split in two:eek: luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

gman2k wrote: »
    Any idea of the timing belt interval on the 1.8TDci model Focus?

Think it's 100k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Neilw wrote: »
    Think it's 100k miles.

Or 10 years which ever comes first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

thanks for the replies guys, I've rechecked the haynes manual and yep, you have to remove the timing belt to replace it so I will get the coolant pump changed instead of waiting for it to fail.

Advertisement