Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landline Handsets

Options
  • 29-10-2009 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Do UK landline hansets work in Ireland?

If I bought a landline phone in the north would it work in the Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

yes.... there is no difference except maybe the brand or name on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

And the stupid BT plug they insist on using!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Yeah there the plug difference.. although adapters are readily available and very cheap couple of euros and then you are good to go..try Maplin

• Registered Users Posts: 16 GoldBullion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

looks like it but RJ11 side looks big??..plus you will need another double crimped rj11 cable from the adapter to the rj11 on the wall.....

this is defo one..

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270469341075#ht_746wt_939

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mingus08

Ok, so I bought a phone in Curries in the North, and of course only realised about the connections when I gave it to my sister-in-law Christmas day, but the phone worked fine with regular Irish cord , except for bad static that comes and goes and generally makes the phone unusable. It was 2 wireless DECT phones, giga something, Siemens.

So, I go and buy the adaptor, (from woodies), and with that, nothing. Not a thing, no sound, no calls in or out. We've tried it at just about every phone socket in the house. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Mingus08 wrote: »
    Ok, so I bought a phone in Curries in the North, and of course only realised about the connections when I gave it to my sister-in-law Christmas day, but the phone worked fine with regular Irish cord , except for bad static that comes and goes and generally makes the phone unusable. It was 2 wireless DECT phones, giga something, Siemens.

So, I go and buy the adaptor, (from woodies), and with that, nothing. Not a thing, no sound, no calls in or out. We've tried it at just about every phone socket in the house. Any ideas?
    Is the phone line enabled for broadband? If so, that would explain the static on the line the absence of a microfilter.

aaah, yes, of course. What I don't understand is how it works without the adaptor but not with it though. But first step first, I'll get a micro filter and report back.

Many thanks.

So is there a difference between a BT microfilter and an Eircom Microfilter?

Are they supposed to have one for the internet line as well? Is this the reason their internet is so c**p?! ;)

And finally, where would the best place be to purchase said microfilter? Electronics store or hardware store?

Many thanks peoples.

Mingus08 wrote: »
    So is there a difference between a BT microfilter and an Eircom Microfilter?
    The difference between the BT and RJ11 (Irish) connectors is the use of the pair of cables: the innermost pair is used in the Irish cable (red and green or blue/white and white/blue in newer cables), whereas an outer pair is used in the BT connector (think it's orange/white and white/orange).

Telephone%20cable.gif

You can use a BT microfilter but you'll need the RJ11->BT adapter as well to use it.

So, for example:
    RJ11 wallplate
                |
    BT adapter
               |
    BT microfilter
               |
            /     \
    phone        ADSL router

Are they supposed to have one for the internet line as well? Is this the reason their internet is so c**p?! ;)
    Yes! You need a microfilter on all outlets to prevent the interference and to prevent DSL drop-outs.
    And finally, where would the best place be to purchase said microfilter? Electronics store or hardware store?
    Pretty much. Probably around the €6-€8 mark.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Ethernet, really useful.

Could I do it like this however?

RJ11 wallplate
    |
    Eircom microfilter
    |
    BT adapter
    /
    phone

and the router would be in another room entirely, with it's own eircom microfilter.

That would also work right? and save me from having to order a BT mircofilter online.

Many thanks

That looks OK. Same as I have. :)

Advertisement