Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading in a bad car

Options
  • 29-10-2009 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I want to trade my car in for a better one, obviously. Now my car is currently not the best, being the reason for the trade in.

Various problems - overheating, front/rear suspension needs overhaul, no tax/nct, needs 3 new tyres.

I can get the tax up to date, no probs.

Can I just offload this car into a dealer for something new and improved? Will they contact me if they feel that after the trade is done, I gave them a piece of crap and they want there other car back?

What's the dealio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't expect to get a great trade-in deal. If there's any Karma, the car they sell you will be a lemon too.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 markus schulz

But they have to supply a car that is in a fit state, with warranty and such? They may sell a lemon and I am entitled to get it checked out before I buy, just like they can check out my car to make sure they get a good deal.

If they don't check it, is that my fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If they don't check it, is that my fault?
    No, provided you don't lie to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Wait until after the budget, the scheme is supposed to be coming back, that is if your buying new. If your buying secondhand just take to to the scrapper, save the garage your trading it in the trouble and you money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,057 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Will they contact me if they feel that after the trade is done, I gave them a piece of crap and they want there other car back?

No. They are the professionals and they are supposed to assess the car properly. If it falls apart one second after you drive off with your new momo, they have no come back at all. Unless you lied to them when they asked you a question. I leave the morality of doing such a thing to another poster...

• Advertisement

Well, should I be out straight and tell them any problems, or keep shtum? I don't mind enclosing details if they ask.

If I do get a lemon, I am still within my rights to demand something that is of reasonable quality, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

i traded in a car in a bit of a state a few months back the dealer knew it was worth nothing and i knew it was worth nothing. No tax no Nct 2 bald tyres. He basically just saved me the trouble of bringing it to the scrap heap myself.
    I had already got a cash price before i mentioned it and i think he added 100 euro to the total discount with my 'trade in'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

unkel wrote: »
    No. They are the professionals and they are supposed to assess the car properly. If it falls apart one second after you drive off with your new momo, they have no come back at all. Unless you lied to them when they asked you a question. I leave the morality of doing such a thing to another poster...

This is it really, if you mislead/lie then you have a liability, but most of the responsibility lies with them to spot any issues.

Well, should I be out straight and tell them any problems, or keep shtum? I don't mind enclosing details if they ask.

If I do get a lemon, I am still within my rights to demand something that is of reasonable quality, yes?

Read the contract you're signing. Odds are it will ask if there have been any accidents/bodywork in your ownership or to your knowledge. If you lie here then they have legal comeback against you.

If you don't lie, you're fine.

The same contract will state what will happen in the case of the car sold being faulty and what remedies are available.

It will be a straight trade. No finance will happen just cash and logbook. it's also not a main dealer just a run of the mill car dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_Ireland

You are protected under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980. By law, so long as you haven't lied or made some sort of fraudulent misrepresentation about the car they have no come back. By law, they have to give you a three month warranty.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0013.html#zza16y1980s13

• Advertisement
Advertisement