Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident, other driver not insured?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'll get right into it...

I was driving to work last Sunday morning, and pulled up at a red light at the end of Queen Street in Dublin, after a time, the light went green and I crossed the intersection, passed over the bridge and as I eneterd the next intersection (intended to go straight ahead onto Bridgefoot Street) a van ran the red light and slammed into the side of me.

The car was totalled and towed away. My head was peppered with broken glass, I cut my leg and over-stretched muscles in my back. I wasn't taken to hospital, but a visit to my GP confirmed the muscular damage.

Anyway, having contacted my insurance company and given mine and the other driver's details (obtained by Gardaí at the scene), I was advised to contact his company. When I did, they told me that they had no record of the policy number, nor his name.

Can anyone give me an idea as to my rights/entitlements at this stage? I am currently waiting to hear back from the Gardaí...

(Sorry for the long post!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ottobock

Go to a Solicitor

The motor insurance bureau is there for victims of uninsured drivers

http://www.mibi.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

TBH...there is not much you can expect. You can bring the other driver to court but that will be veeeerrrry long process and end of the story is not predictible.
    This is one of the local fenomenum, when the traffic lights turn from green to red at least 3-4 cars will still continue to drive. Scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

+1 on ottobock.

motor insurance bureau is there to cover for uninsured drivers. It's one of the reasons why insurances are so expensive in ireland. A chunk of our premiums goes into that pot.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I was unaware of the MIBI organisation up until now and had a good read of the website just now. It would definitely be worth a visit.

Glad to hear your okay afterwards, lunatics like the guy you were hit by should be locked up.

It must be fairly common for people to run red lights in the city, I've seen it countless times. I was nearly hit by a car in santry a couple of months ago as I was walking to work. The green light was on for me to walk across, his light was red and this guy didn't slow down at all only for I jumped back I was a dead man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

ottobock wrote: »
    Go to a Solicitor

The motor insurance bureau is there for victims of uninsured drivers

http://www.mibi.ie/

+2

the MIB do take a while but its best route, I beleive average time for case to be sorted is 9months

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I had a MIBI claim this year. Was driving a classic car and got hit by an uninsured driver. She then drove off. Damage was substantial.

Claim was paid by my comp. cover, and reimbursed by MIBI, with NCB reinstated and file closed within 4 months.

You just need to keep chasing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DaireMac

Going through the MIBI is not a fast route if you have injuries its different case by case. I'm waiting 17 months so far. I would expect at least another 5 months for my case to be sorted as my doc will not sign off on me untill Jan 2010.

Also if the person who hit you can not be traced which is common, you won't be able to chase him.

D.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The best case scenario is that the Guards took the details down wrong - this can and does happen.

If if is an uninsured driver / bogey details, if you have fully comp insurance they should pay for the damage and claim it back off the MIBI, I'm not sure about whether you'll need to claim directly from the MIBI for the injury or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

DaireMac wrote: »
    Going through the MIBI is not a fast route if you have injuries its different case by case. I'm waiting 17 months so far. I would expect at least another 5 months for my case to be sorted as my doc will not sign off on me untill Jan 2010.

Also if the person who hit you can not be traced which is common, you won't be able to chase him.

D.

Para 2. Yep. You have to i.d. the uninsured driver.

Para 1. If the extent of your injuries and consequent damages cannot be ascertained yet no action to recover them is possible, regardless of who might be ultimately paying for it, MIBI or another insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tmdsurvey

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Glad to hear your okay afterwards, lunatics like the guy you were hit by should be locked up.

They should be but they are not. Problem with this old country is that people are not held accountable. The guy probably has no insurance or tax (or fakes) because the fine he would pay for not having them in place would be less than the cost of getting them. The justice system in this country (like the government and banking sytem) needs a serious clean out and overhaul... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 LoveIt

The other driver does not have to be identified. The MIBI are there for uninsured OR untraced drivers.
    If the Gardai have his details and he definitely does not have insurance then they are there to deal with this type of claim.
    The chances are the insurance details are a digit wrong or something though or it could be the wrong insurance company given.
    Since the details are vague and/or wrong though I would advise you to get a solicitor on board. They are more likely to be aware of the MIBI process. You are entitled to have your vehicle fixed, towing and storage taken care of, and car hire. The quickest way is to claim through your Comp policy. If the other driver is insured your insurance company will seek recovery from his insurance company. If he is uninsured your insurance has to pay your property damage and protect your NCB and claims history under the MIBI agreement. Any uninsured losses such as loss of use, loss of earnings or med expenses are then claimed through the MIBI.

Advertisement