Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting career advice

Options
  • 29-10-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey,

I'm looking for some advice please. I'm thinking of doing an accounting technician course part time. I worked in retail for a few years after my leaving cert and for about the last eight years I worked in construction as a foreman in a small restoration company. After doing this course is it possible to get work or would I need to study further? What sort of pay should I expect? I am 33 and married with a child. I did Accounting in the leaving cert but only at ordinary level but that was partly due to lack of effort back then(1996) I just wanted to know how hard this course is and would I need experience before doing it? Maybe I'm just dreaming but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 uniqueNewyork

Hi

I'm currently in 2nd year of an IATI accounting technician course. I had no prior experience before I started the course, just a general interest. I am doing it full-time.

If this is the course you were looking into it is a great course IMO, year 1 you have 2 practical (Financial Accounting and Tax) and 2 theory subjects(Business Management and Law).. Tax is pretty straighforward if you have SOME idea of the system beforehand; VAT, Income tax, Case 1 (self employed) PRSI... Financial Accounting consisted of doing accounts manually (no computerised til 2nd year) so it was all t accounts, double entry bookkeeping, depreciation of fixed assets, bad debts, preparation of financial statements etc... Business management is extensive; all theory on IT, management, finance, motivation of staff, marketing.. found this the hardest subject to get into, however it was my highest mark in exam... Law I also found quite tough, consisting of; Sale of goods, employment law, contract law, EU law, partnerships,auditors, company law, agency law, tort... I was dreading this exam too but this was my 2nd highest mark!

You need to pass Accounts and Tax in order to get into 2nd year. 2nd year so far is ok, management accounts has some theory to it, at the moment its all costs and overhead absorbtion.. Financial accounts is same stuff as before, more indepth, more theory International Accounts standards etc.. Tax is more of same, added in are Corporation tax and capital gains tax.. we're also doing TAS2 computerised accounts and Quickpay payroll...

Having a genuine interest in accounting is an advantage to studying this course, also I must say my teachers are fantastic. They also teach it part-time and are always saying that the course is quite extensive for those learning it at night (ie) 2/4 hours per week for 9 months as opposed to my 20 hours per week for 9 months...however some of the highest marks in the country over the last few years have come from night students so it shows if you're willing to put the time in..

As for job prospects once you finish, well at the moment things aren't too great for any industry, I'm trying to get work experience, not looking for wages and its proving diffficult at the moment, however in 2/3 years when you finish course things may have changed... the IATI course upon completion will allow you several exemptions from further study; ACCA/CA/CIMA/CPA subject to criteria should you find you like it and want to go further...

I think the accounting technician is a great course if you have the interest in accounts but are unsure if you would take to it IYKWIM... and if you decide you dont want to go further upon completion you still have a good enough qualification which will allow you to actually work in the area... as for salary I'm not 100% but I wouldnt expect too much when you first start out, maybe 25k (its an estimate) accountancy is very much a profession where salary is reflective of educational progression/experience...

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 8 noveli

Yea it is the iati I was thinking of doing. Thanks for all the info. I always had an interest in accounts so I think I'll be giving it a go. Now to try find somewhere good to do it. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 samsung22

Hi

as for salary I'm not 100% but I wouldnt expect too much when you first start out, maybe 25k (its an estimate) accountancy is very much a profession where salary is reflective of educational progression/experience...

HTH

Not a HOPE will someone graduating on an accounting technicians course start of on 25k.......graduates of 4 year accounting degree courses would be doing well to get that at the mo!

Id say you'll be looking more at 18k

Advertisement