Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 306

Options
  • 29-10-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a car in the next couple of months... realistically it'll probably be January before I can afford it but I've been having a look around anyway.

I would like to spend as little money as possible but obviously there's a little wiggle room. I was thinking up to 2.5k - 3k.

Now for my question... would buying a Peugeot 306 be a big mistake? Are they as unreliable as the 206 supposedly is? Would I be buying a money pit or have people had good experiences with these cars?

I don't know why I got the notion of one, but now I've decided I want one! I just think they look deadly but if it's gonna be the bane of my life I'll (attempt) to forget about it.

Any help would be much appreciated... other recommendations gladly received but just so ya know I'm aware of the Ford Focus :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

What year and engine are you after....??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

tywy wrote: »
    would buying a Peugeot 306 be a big mistake? Are they as unreliable as the 206 supposedly is?

They are basically the same car, try get the >2003 one with the 16V 1.4 engine, they are quite comfy.

Make sure the timing belt + water pump are done at the correct time also.

Like all cars, they all require maintenance and will cost some you money, but hopefully not too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

They stopped making them bar the estate in 01. The only 1.4 is the 75 brake one. Always liked them, and 3k will buy you something decent. A 3 door d-turbo spec one would be my choice. Newer models had the 2.0 hdi and older models had the 1.9tdi. My buddy has the 1.9tdi in his 406 heading for 3rd time around the clock and its runs great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Row wrote: »
    What year and engine are you after....??

Sorry, looking for a 1.4 petrol. I suppose I'm looking for the newer model of the 306 so 98-01 I think.
    They are basically the same car, try get the >2003 one with the 16V 1.4 engine, they are quite comfy.

Make sure the timing belt + water pump are done at the correct time also.

Like all cars, they all require maintenance and will cost some you money, but hopefully not too much.

When you say newer than 2003 (which is what I'm interpreting the greater than sign to mean) you mean the 206, right?

I'm not interested in a 206 at all really... much prefer the 306

Something like this I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sorry, looking for a 1.4 petrol. I suppose I'm looking for the newer model of the 306 so 98-01 I think.

When you say newer than 2003 (which is what I'm interpreting the greater than sign to mean) you mean the 206, right?

Sorry my mistake above there, i was thinking of the 307 not 306!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That looks to be a clean and tidy example which is hard to find these days as the newest 306 is almost 8 to 9 years old at this stage. The 306 was pretty reliable and alot more reliable than the 307 that replaced it. Alot less electronics back then to go wrong.

I'd try and get something off the asking price, the fact that it has a service history would make me think it was cared for and could work out to be a good buy at €1500. Just check when the timing belt was last changed as this will eat into your bargin if it needs changing soon. Also the NCT is up in January so it can be done 3 months in advance of that meaning it can be done in November, get the garage to put it through as a condition of the sale or a condition of the warranty.

Great advice, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you like the 306, don't rule out the Citroen Xsara. they're essentially the same car but the Xsara is cheaper.

The Xsara looks horrible tho :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

3dr is the way to go for the 306! And avoid the 1.4, it's a waste of a fine chassis!

• Advertisement
Advertisement