Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Architects Register Admission Examination

Options
  • 28-10-2009 10:52pm
    Subscribers Posts: 40,987 ✭✭✭✭

I recieved an email today regarding the ARAE (Architects Register Admission Examination)

http://www.arae.ie/index.html

Very very surprised to see an initial application fee of €2250 by 7th november, and a further €9250 :eek: by february 2010 !!!!

As this is for registration of individual architects (and not a firm) thats €11,500 of a sole persons income to a process where there is no indication as to likelihood of success....!!!!

while this examination purports itself as being independent of the registration body (RIAI) i feel its admission fees are so severe as to render it useless and prohibitive in the current industry climate.

comments??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I got that as well and I feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

I too got the email.

Have to say that I was initially shocked at the fees. I suppose if you think about it 11,500 isn't a huge amount of money, if you put it into the context of someone spending 5 years to obtain a B.ARCH and a further 2 to complete their Part 3 but then what price does one put on experience.

However it is none the less a lot of money in the current climate and for that reason I can't see to many takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I got that as well and I feel the same.

Ditto, i know not of one single person in this industry thats confident enough of their job security to justify such an outlay with absolutely no guarantee of success.

I'd love to be in a position to explore it further but the financial factor is far too restricting.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I feel isolated and abandoned :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Its a lesson in how to get rid of all you / us pretend wopuld be architects in one easy lesson, wait untill the ass has fallen out of the entire industry and start the process with a nice big fee attached. Why would anybody bother.

• Advertisement

well did anyone go to the meeting in UCD on Saturday?

No but i got an email from some who have I'll forward it to you archtech

thanks for that. seemed like there was a good attendance despite everything and that the ARAE is independent from the RIAI.

I see the date for entry has been extended to the December 14.

I wonder why!!!

• Advertisement

No6 wrote: »
    I wonder why!!!
    lol .... everyone must have their communion money spent at this stage !

If you have 6.5K lying around and several months holidays to take would you consider the TA process, gain (possibly 2:1 chance) the right to be registered or if you have 12k and god only knows how much time it takes to spare (no odds on this one yet) also for the right to be registered in a career that is on its knees and dosn't look like recovering in a long number of years would you spend it!! or would you keep it as you will most like be laid off (if you havn't been already) or run out of work very soon (if you havn't already) for the self employed or would you keep it and pay your mortgage for another few months??

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bravojohnny

Hi All,

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread; however I was wondering has anyone gone down this route & if so would they recommend it?

Many Thanks,
    Johnny

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Thinking I might myself in few years but to date all I know about it is the eye watering cost! My bank manager might have to be visited.

There's a rather arbitrary minimum age of 36 for admission to the register via this route. I have no idea if the course can be started before this age.

Sorry. I've no more information beyond that. I'd love to know how you get on.

Hi All,

I am considering the Architects Register Admissions Examination; does anyone have any advice on this course?

Thanks in advance.
    Johnny

I suppose I can understand why there’s no replies; the fees are very expensive & there’s probably not to many people on boards that have completed the course.

Hi All,

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread; however I was wondering has anyone gone down this route & if so would they recommend it?

Many Thanks,
    Johnny
    Bump
    Hi All,

I am considering the Architects Register Admissions Examination; does anyone have any advice on this course?

Thanks in advance.
    Johnny
    I suppose I can understand why there’s no replies; the fees are very expensive & there’s probably not to many people on boards that have completed the course.

Surely you are not waiting for feedback from this thread alone to progress your chosen career pathway?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

the fees are very expensive & there’s probably not to many people on boards that have completed the course.

You keep refering to it as a "course". It's not a course, it's an examination.

Apologies if I have offended both you poor Uncle Tom & mellor; however I merely posted on this thread to ask for advice on the subject.

As you can appreciate the 'exam' is a lot of money & I, like most people wanted some feedback from anyone who took this path.

Apologies again; I didn't realise people were so sensitive on this forum.

I won't post a reply again on this thread. Regards,
    Johnny

• Advertisement

Absolutely no offence taken, as was pointed out earlier on in the thread I believe this is nothing short of attempting to extort as much as possible from anyone wishing to go this route to progress their profession, if this is the direction they choose to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not offended in the slightest. Not sure what gave you that idea. Feel free to continue to post, or not post.

The reason I mentioned that its not a course is because, as you pointed out, it's a lot of money. I wouldn't want somebody to pay the money thinking this was a course to achieve registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DJPC1989

Bump.

Anyone have advice for an Arch Tech considering the ARAE & RIAI Route F adventure?

Advertisement