Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing Paints (acrylic)

Options
  • 28-10-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

How do you know how much paint to mix before you start painting that particular color?

I use acrylics but if I mix too little I run out and have to mix more and try and match the color I originally mixed which is never the same.

Do I just mix too much and throw away the rest?

Just not sure what the best practice is.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplebeach

Hi - Something that might be good for you is a stay wet acrylic palette - winsor & newton do one http://www.winsornewton.com/products/accessories/palettes/acrylic-colour-palettes/compact-acrylic-palette/
    it is a palette with a lid which keeps your mixed paints wet and you can get refills for them

if this link does not work their main site is www.winsornewton.com- it's a fantastic site for all painting tips etc.

I know the Art & Hobby Shop and Premier Arts & Craft store have them but any Art shop that stocks Winsor & Newton will be able to get one for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

there is no simple answer to how to mix paint. if you mix too little, you run out. if you mix too much your paint dries up, even with fancy pallets. it depends on the size of your brush, the area needing coverage, and the style you are painting in.
    sounds like you need to mix more paint. this will then possibly necesitate you to paint faster/use larger brush. paint isn't too expensive, so get playful with it. lots of experimentation. and have fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fred344

cheers for the advice. will just get stuck into it!

Advertisement