Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Health Service Charges

Options
  • 28-10-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Hope this comes across clear enough but I'm really confused at the moment, not having had any prior experiences with hospitals etc.

I attended A&E at a public hospital yesterday, without a referral from GP due to a problem I was having (wont go into details but knew it would need blood tests etc)

Was booked in, seen in Triage and passed to a doctor.

He examined me, sent me for Xrays and took bloods. I was then asked to wait around until the results from the bloods returned. I wasn't booked into a ward or anything, just sent for a cup of coffee.

8 hours later and lots of coffee I was finally seen by a doctor who explained they had no idea what was wrong with me expect a low blood platelet count. Advised to return tomorrow for more blood tests.

My questions is related to charges, I know I'm going to be hit for the 100 euro for attending A&E without a referral. But what about the Xray, blood tests, doctor charges etc? do they charge me for them? if so how much roughly am I looking at?

I have medical insurance but they only cover certain outpatient costs (in patient i get everything back but not out patient)

Is there a chance I was an inpatient as I was told to stay in the hospital until the results came back? or is that a day patient?

thanks for any help, I'm just trying to prepare myself before seeing some 2,000 euro bill or something.

Comments

Advertisement