Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car with No tax book

Options
  • 28-10-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

hey

bought a car off my brother in law, who had bought the car off a polish fellow off the internet. he never recieved a tax book. I have no way of contacting this man, dont even know if hes in the country! Anyone any idea's how i can get a tax book for it or had problems like this before.

was in tax office and they gave me forms but said its a long drawn out process

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

knobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Car could be stolen:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Firstly make sure the car hasn't been scrapped, check that out in the local Garda station. If that checks out ok you need to get a lost document form and get it stamped by the Gardai and you'll also need to get a declaration signed by a solicitor or a peace commissioner, the take the forms to the motor tax office and they'll send you out the new book for a fee of 10 or 12 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Knobs wrote: »
    hey

bought a car off my brother in law, who had bought the car off a polish fellow off the internet.

knobs

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

How long did your brother in law own the car for? Who is it registered to?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Knobs

car is registered to polish fellow, he lost tax book and was going home so sold car for cheap. car is not robbed or stolen had it checked.

cheers junkyard ill go with your route. thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

Sorry for my question but what is TAX BOOK?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

pcardin wrote: »
    Sorry for my question but what is TAX BOOK?

Vehicle Licencing or Registration Certificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

You don't need a lost doc. form, this form is only filled out by registered owner if paperwork is lost.
    You also don't need to have a form stamped by guards.

I bought 3 cars this year without paperwork,(yes i checked em out first )

The form you need is called an affidavit form which your local motor tax office will give you.

Its a deceleration form
    Fill in car details and take the car and form to a dealer who will check and confirm chassis number, he will stamp the form.
    Have never been charged by a dealer for this(nice people)

Next you need a peace commissioner(most solicitors)to witness you filling in your details and signing the form in front of them, they will then sign and stamp the form.
    They charge 10e for their time.(they don't need to see the car)
    They will require you to show them valid photo id.
    Send this form to Shannon tax office and you will have a new book in a few weeks.(you don't have to pay any fee to shannon)

Having done this 3 times this year i know what im talking about and im about to do it again. I find it a very simple processs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

cascade35 wrote: »
    You don't need a lost doc. form, this form is only filled out by registered owner if paperwork is lost.
    You also don't need to have a form stamped by guards.

I bought 3 cars this year without paperwork,(yes i checked em out first )

The form you need is called an affidavit form which your local motor tax office will give you.

Its a deceleration form
    Fill in car details and take the car and form to a dealer who will check and confirm chassis number, he will stamp the form.
    Have never been charged by a dealer for this(nice people)

Next you need a peace commissioner(most solicitors)to witness you filling in your details and signing the form in front of them, they will then sign and stamp the form.
    They charge 10e for their time.(they don't need to see the car)
    They will require you to show them valid photo id.
    Send this form to Shannon tax office and you will have a new book in a few weeks.(you don't have to pay any fee to shannon)

Having done this 3 times this year i know what im talking about and im about to do it again. I find it a very simple processs.

Yep that is the process but it wouldnt be called a 'Deceleration form' as you state

mickdw wrote: »
    Yep that is the process but it wouldnt be called a 'Deceleration form' as you state

oops spelling error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

you are spot on ,but you will not get the new paperwork unless you tax the vehicle

You will get the paperwork, I always do, after all you need it in order to tax the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

thats why you need to apply at your local office ,i did all the above and sent it to shannon and they returned it saying it must be applied for thru your local office:confused:

Never had that problem, Can be difficult to speak to anyone in Shannon though.

Advertisement