Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple router problem (techy knowledge required)

Options
  • 28-10-2009 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

So here's the problem.

The gf's family have Westnet bb. It's great. Except that she got a laptop recently and they haven't any idea - not the least idea - what the password for the router is. It's a netgear router (don't ask me the model, oh please) OscarBravo tells me that it's out of his hands and he's right. So who do we call to ask? Is there any way of resetting the router password?

I'm open to anything. I'll bury a black cat at midnight, whatever.

*Banquo

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

banquo wrote: »
    So here's the problem.

The gf's family have Westnet bb. It's great. Except that she got a laptop recently and they haven't any idea - not the least idea - what the password for the router is. It's a netgear router (don't ask me the model, oh please) OscarBravo tells me that it's out of his hands and he's right. So who do we call to ask? Is there any way of resetting the router password?

*Banquo

On many routers there'll be a small hole with a button that can be pressed in and held when it's powered on, to reset it back to factory defaults.

Though when you say password, do you mean the password to the admin interface, or the wireless key?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Wireless key. Will the reset button do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

the password might be written on the bottom of the router

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Usually. Best locate the manual so you know the defaults first. But once you have the admin password you can set the key of choice anyway.

This is the Netgear default according to them.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1148

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

dunworth1 wrote: »
    the password might be written on the bottom of the router

By default it might be either password or admin also might be 1234 depeding on what model you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Cheers. I owe you a shot of the gf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

if there is any other computer connecting to the wifi network you can run this program to get the key..
    http://www.redferret.net/?p=9996

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

connect to the router with a cable, you wont need a password (well not the wifi one, but try admin/password if asked).Navigate the web interface to router to find/change existing wifi password

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

*Banquo
    Add in 5 small babies and 2 dogs and then count to 10 run around in a circle 3 times and someone will run up and whisper it in your ear before spontaniously dying.

no seriously though look up the manual

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Spear wrote: »
    On many routers there'll be a small hole with a button that can be pressed in and held when it's powered on, to reset it back to factory defaults.
    Just a quick note on this - if anyone happens to have a WestNet-provided router (generally only our WiMAX customers), please don't do this, as it will disconnect you from our network and we'll have to drive out to you to re-connect you.

banquo, did you get sorted?

Just a quick note on this - if anyone happens to have a WestNet-provided router (generally only our WiMAX customers), please don't do this, as it will disconnect you from our network and we'll have to drive out to you to re-connect you.

banquo, did you get sorted?

While not expecting trade secrets, but is not simply a case of re-entering static IP settings?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Spear wrote: »
    While not expecting trade secrets, but is not simply a case of re-entering static IP settings?
    PPPoE login details rather than static IP. There are a bunch of settings that we need "just so" to be able to efficiently remotely manage customer routers, and life's too short to talk people through setting them up after they've reset the router.

Advertisement