Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wordpress to forum: Bridges/options

Options
  • 28-10-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hey all,

I have been using wordpress for a while now and I want to expand one of my sites to cater for the community: so I need a forum.

Now, I have been experimenting with around 5 different forums including SMF, PHPBB amongst others. It appears NONE of them have a 100% way to bridge WP and the forum which is weird...

Does anyone out there experience in what worked? How to bridge the WP DB to the forum? What they did to overcome it? etc

Thanks,
    e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

bump

--update--

I have since established a phpbb forum but wish to unify the log-in between the wordpress site/phpbb forum

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

You could add a new page called 'forum' or what ever to your wordpress site, then you could forward that page to a static html page which uses your wordpress css to style the page and embed any type of forum into the page.

If done right it would look like it was wordpress intergrated forum.

I have done something kinda like this on this website www.runner786.com click on the 'Donate' page to see what I am on about.

Adrian

You could add a new page called 'forum' or what ever to your wordpress site, then you could forward that page to a static html page which uses your wordpress css to style the page and embed any type of forum into the page.

If done right it would look like it was wordpress intergrated forum.

I have done something kinda like this on this website www.runner786.com click on the 'Donate' page to see what I am on about.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

That's a neat trick alright, but, sadly it doesn't suit my goal. You see, I need to have the wordpress/phpbb databases linked. There's plugins out there but they all seem to be unsupported half-working/half-broken.

Thanks for the input though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 oMega_2093

Have you considered bbpress? It's from the same people who make Wordpress, so I guess they have some "official" bridge or something like that.

oMega_2093 wrote: »
    Have you considered bbpress? It's from the same people who make Wordpress, so I guess they have some "official" bridge or something like that.

Yeah I've looked into bbpress but I want something a little more robust like phpbb or vbulletin

Thanks for the pointer though

• Advertisement
Advertisement