Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car - Alfa Romeo 156?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I'm looking at cars at the moment in the 3k to 4k price range. As a first time driver I know everyone recommends the sensible small motors such as Micra's and Yaris's.

I have my eye on a lovely Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 engine. I'm wondering would this be a terrible decision for a first car... they are relatively cheap so a bit of wear and tear over the first year of learning wouldn't be a huge loss.

I'm aware also that they have a reputation of being unreliable. It will only be a weekend car so I won't be doing a lot of mileage so i'm allowing for this in the low cost to buy.

My real concern is are they difficult to drive? Are they more geared towards the skilled / experienced driver? Safety is another concern

Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Nice cars, not too difficult to drive. Main difference over a more typical first car would probably be the size of it (parking), and the fact it's not a hatch.
    As for reliability, they aren't that bad. You could get unlucky though and get one that needs a bit of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

fjon wrote: »
    Nice cars, not too difficult to drive. Main difference over a more typical first car would probably be the size of it (parking), and the fact it's not a hatch.
    As for reliability, they aren't that bad. You could get unlucky though and get one that needs a bit of work.

thanks fjon. I have experience of driving rear wheel drive..it can be a little dangerous as a learner. So handling and all the rest similar to the usual starter cars?

Yeah size is the only obvious difference, wasn't sure though. This one has just passed it NCT and is under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Insurance cost may be another important difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

They are not the most reliable cars around (that's the polite way of saying it).

Make sure the timing belt has been done on time (walk away if not) and get the electrics checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Insurance will be your biggest problem, I think. 1.6 litre is a big-enough engine for someone on a leaner's permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Do it. The fact that so many of them were unreliable makes the good ones very cheap for what you get. Its a compact car with relatively small engine so parking, insurance, tax etc should be managable but check with insurer first.

Advertisement