Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320d SE 05 - what to offer

Options
  • 28-10-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Am wondering what I should offer for the following:

BMW 320d SE - AUTO

PDC (rear)
    Front and rear fogs
    Extended light package

Metalic silver with full black leather interior

about 45,000 miles on it

Tks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What's it really worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What's it really worth?

Yup, that's what he's asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

I've looked around and have seen them offered from about 18k up to 23k so was wondering what a realistic price for it is.

I am interested but don't want to insult!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭sk8board

I think with the new price drops that car is about 35-40k new.

considering that this car will be 5 years old in 8 weeks time, I'd be offering 15k at a push (seriously). Have been looking at 320cd's in '05's and thats about the price; surely a saloon is less.

If it turns out the market for that car is around 18-20k, then you'd have to ask yourself if it represents value, and if a 3-series is definitely what you want, and are prepared to pay a premium.

EDIT: At 18-23k, it represents depreciation of only 45% on average after FIVE years! It usually about 50%+ after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It sounds like a nice car from the description. Full Leather, Auto 320d SE is going to be a decent car, but as mentioned above - the recent price drops make it very difficult to put a value on.

I'd have a quick look on Autotrader to see how much it would cost to bring one in from the UK (check VRT and exchange rate) and offer the same as it would cost to land it here.

Initial thought was €14k - €15k. Checked in the book and that is listing the standard spec manual with 121,000km for over €17,000!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sk8board wrote: »
    I think with the new price drops that car is about 35-40k new.

Hold on a sec - you can't just make up figures out of your head ffs - the new price that car is 43,500 odd without the metallic paint, leather, ungraded lighting or any other bits and bobs your dealer will extract from you before delivery.

OP - your best bet it to check car zone for other models similar add and subtract 50% of cost of extras compared to others and make an INFORMED decision.

If there is one thing boards.ie/motors won't do is help you make an INFORMED decision if this is the level of information being pedaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

racso1975 wrote: »

Thats the old model coupe, not the new saloon

RobAMerc wrote: »

If there is one thing boards.ie/motors won't do is help you make an INFORMED decision if this is the level of information being pedaled.

Well said, many of the enthusiasts on here are very passionate about cars apparently but know very little about them really, only what they read in mags :D

I'll probably get a spanking from a mod for that !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

OP, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There are only 2 other 320d autos on carzone are just under €18k for 66k miles and €16k for 120k miles. Neither have leather. Personally, I'd be cheeky and go in lower than either of those. Probably about €15k. Less if I thought it was possible. They can only say no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'll probably get a spanking from a mod for that !!

Well then, don't say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it the new or old model?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

OP is this an E46 saloon your looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Its the newer shape one (like the black one at 120k miles on Carzone).

Seems lite a great car, but have seen a few small nicks to paintwork so might try and hit 15k - I'm expecting that based on prices from Carzone that I'll be more realistic at approx 17.5k but we'll see!

a BMW dealer offered me 23k for my 06 m-sport one with almost the same spec as the one you are trying to buy.
    I paid 34k for it in September 08 - at that time it was close to 56k new.
    You'd be doing very well I think to get it at 15k but if you came across the right seller at the right time - who knows !

the newer shape one is just the facelift, its still an e46! look i bought a bmw last year, its worth about 60% of what i bought it for now! now the prices have dropped to such a large extent its hard to know, how much lower they can go! but whats the harm in waiting till 2010, it all depends on your own circumstances really...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the newer shape one is just the facelift, its still an e46!

Huh??? You mean the E90 that replaced the E46 in early 2005, is really still an E46?

Those tricky Germans pulled the wool over my eyes again :rolleyes:

the e90 was released in 07...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

05 buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Hold on a sec - you can't just make up figures out of your head ffs - the new price that car is 43,500 odd without the metallic paint, leather, ungraded lighting or any other bits and bobs your dealer will extract from you before delivery.

They have to be cheaper than that now surely, since the 520d has just come down to 40k.

• Advertisement

i stand corrected! just checked up wiki! i though the coupe and saloon would have been released at the same time and they werent!

05 buddy.

Sorry Drummerboy, I'm going with Idbatterim on this one - to put up a post like that, surely he's done the research.

I was just going from memory of all the run out model E46 ES models I put out in early 05, followed by the new E90 models when all the E46's had gone. My memory mustn't be what it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

VolvoMan wrote: »
    They have to be cheaper than that now surely, since the 520d has just come down to 40k.

A new 320d SE Auto Business Ed (adds sat nav, leather, and bluetooth) is €45,539 on the road. I *think* that excludes metallic paint.

The equivilent 520d Auto SE business Ed is €46,947 OTR. Difference of €1,400.

I know which one I'd have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i sold my 2005 E90 320d last week for 13,200euro

very similar spec to the one your describing OP.

i bought it for 10,700 in April!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=153670&cat=2

i put it on www.donedeal.ie and it sold within 3 days!
    a BMW dealer offered me 23k for my 06 m-sport one with almost the same spec as the one you are trying to buy.I paid 34k for it in September 08 - at that time it was close to 56k new.
    You'd be doing very well I think to get it at 15k but if you came across the right seller at the right time - who knows !

thats a very good trade in price. i know of one main dealer with a 2006 silver 320d M-Sport with leather and they will be advertising it at 22,500 next week.

No doubt the 23 offer on the 06 was due to expensive machinery being purchased and plenty of fat built in to the price of that.

Fair play on making €2,500 on a car you had for 6 months that you bought off a dealer :cool:.

kceire wrote: »
    thats a very good trade in price. i know of one main dealer with a 2006 silver 320d M-Sport with leather and they will be advertising it at 22,500 next week.

Am I the only person here who thinks that barely 50% depreciation off the new price after 4 years is not a good deal?

RobAMerc talks about the mis-inforamtion on boards, and sure theres lots of it, but most of it is a play-off between dealers and buyers.

personally I can't justify an '05 320d SE for 18k-23k that the original OP mentioned, irrespective of new price or what extras it has.

You would really (really really) want a bmw.

I went to look at an '05 GTI last night down the country and the seller wouldn't move from the 16.5k price tag, and wasn't prepared to bargin; yet I can get a brand new '09 for 25k. Theres 45 of the '05-'09 GTI's on carzone. Go figure.

sk8board wrote: »

RobAMerc talks about the mis-inforamtion on boards, and sure theres lots of it, but most of it is a play-off between dealers and buyers.
    I was specifically talking about you ! You claimed that car could be bought new for 35-40k - wrong, the latest BMW pricing guide puts a 320d se auto at 43,500 odd - without metallic or leather !

I was specifically talking about you ! You claimed that car could be bought new for 35-40k - wrong, the latest BMW pricing guide puts a 320d se auto at 43,500 odd - without metallic or leather !

ok, so I'm out by 3k; big deal; the depreciation is still unacceptably low.

even the lower end of the scale (18k) represents just 58% depreciation after five years. its rediculous.

As I've said twice above; you would really really want the 320d over anything else; even allowing for the differences in price, bhp and tax rate of the 320d just three years newer.

so I'd say OP the message is: if you're looking for value, get anything else; if you really want the bmw, get the bmw

Advertisement