Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Review

Options
  • 28-10-2009 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Please feel free to advise or evaluate my web site and what i need to do to improve it. www.sportscoaching.ie. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not bad at all, but here's a few pointers:

1) Remove any underlines (e.g. the "IRELAND'S NUMBER 1 WEBSITE FOR ALL COACHES AND FITNESS ENTHUSIASTS" header and the "Links" header); underlines are used for links ONLY

2) Lose the default borders on tables (ideally, lose the tables-for-layout completely, but that's a more advanced task if you're a newbie)

3) Improve the padding or margins on the centre section to move it "in" from the edges

4) Space out the left-hand navigation items, and look into adding a hover highlight effect

5) Watch the aspect ratio of images (e.g. the Down Syndrome Ireland logo should be 264 pixels wide, not 159)

6) Add alt/title tags to each image to improve SEO

7) Likewise, add meaningful titles to the pages ("Home" means nothing and "About Us" could be about anyone in Google terms.

8) Watch some of the spelling; "Look no further then Sports Coaching Ireland...." should be "Look no further than Sports Coaching Ireland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

Would really take note of point 5 above as from what I saw you are using the browser to scale all the images. This not only impacts the aspect ratio but also slows page load times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The banner looks blurry/out of focus

Choose a different font (try Arial) and remove the underline for "IRELAND'S NUMBER 1 WEBSITE FOR ALL COACHES AND FITNESS ENTHUSIASTS"

As mentioned, fix the aspect ratio for Down Syndrome Ireland

The 'links' part looks to me a bit like Google Ads, dunno if that's intentional or not? If they're links you want people clicking on then I'd make them look different

Get someone to check your spelling and grammar !!!
    On the front page:
    "Whether your a sports club seeking a coach or a coach seeking a club, Sports Coaching Ireland can provide the help you need. Our website covers any sport you wish, from hurling through to badminton. How often does your club start a new year in search of a new coach for a particular team. You know they are out there, in your area but you don't know how to reach these coaches. Look no further then Sports Coaching Ireland, we provide a place for you to advertise your needs and also to check out the number of available coaches in your area"

In general it looks good though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 blazingsaddles

thanks a million lads, some very valid and badly needed points. I'll get to work on them over the weekend. Yeh, I'm pretty new to this and self taught but i'll get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Consider using left aligned text for the left hand nav links and the contact address. Easier to read.

The text links at the bottom are displayed at different sizes on some pages and not at all on others. Make them consistent.

Sort out the 'more details' rollover on the homepage. Making it go bold makes the table 'jump'.

Sort out your logo and rework the header to reduce the height just a bit, maybe blend the lifestyle pix into it somehow to get more content displayed above the fold and allow for future admin elements on the right. Put the header on all pages for branding.

Not sure if it matters so much these days, but I wouldn't advise using spaces in filenames.

The #B0CCFF link colour could be darker giving better contrast.

Add more styling to the tables and form elements.

Learn up on using heading tags and css properties for headings as opposed to doing them with the font tag. Use alt tags for images. Important for SEO which you need to work on.

Your free listing/ad for first while model is good, but you need to redo the process(es):

The advertise button needs more padding and I would choose different colours (white or black on orange could work).
    Put the price of advertising after the free period up - this is an important piece of info and really should be displayed.
    The order form link on the place an ad page should be after the main content but not below the fold. It could also be a button.
    Use mixed case on the order forms and sort out the layout.
    Provide info giving reasons to advertise (stats, success stories, conversion rates). You can also provide an extra level of 'premium' advertising where the ad is always first displayed = higher charge.

hth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

+1 on the blurry banner. The banner is also missing for all but the home page.

The font size/weight in the heading seems to change on different pages. I think the font is also changing in a couple of other places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 blazingsaddles

thanks lads, all feedback is good and what i need

Advertisement