Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Train fare increases

Options
  • 28-10-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the increases for the annual ticket fares for next year?

For Portarlington it's gone from €2,410 (which includes the supplement of €200.00 for the bus/LUAS connection between Heuston Station and the City Centre) to €2,680.00.

Now can someone please explain to me how they can justify putting prices up when the majority of the population are either having to take pay cuts or working reduced hours. It's a fecking disgrace!

No doubt IR will spout out their usual..."price of fuel....we buy in bulk..." bull****!

Interesting to see our Minister for Transport's expenses at the weekend:eek: No fecking train journeys in his expenses claims!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭stan1979

IE are unreal,
    the government are trying to encourage people to use public transport yet they allow a substandard company increase the prices on a less than average service. will the service level increase in comparisson to the fare increase i doubt it.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

ridiculous! some shower. the people are earning less and loosing jobs and there putting up the prices.
    its unjustifiable. i have just come back from abroad and noticed alot of prices have gone up.
    i expected the opposite. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It is a disgrace, especially given the €300 + million subvention they receive from the taxpayer AND the recent "accounting anomalies" in the company, disclosed by Shane Ross in the Sindo. Write to your public representative; mightn't achieve much but at least have your say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

But don't we have our lovely new car park.....for 416 a year.

The helpful staff in Port and Heuston.

Oh and the trains that are always on time:rolleyes:

Fcukin joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

This is an absolute disgrace, how are they allowed to get away with it? Between extra tax levies that are undoubtedly on the way and now increase in a train fare for a crap service is unbelievable. :mad:

• Advertisement

Ah be fair.

Those back handers don't pay for themselves.......:rolleyes:

8.04 train now arrives at 8.13........daily, 9 mins late into Heuston.......yet still on time:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

yeah, it's gone up for Portlaoise too.

An extra €285 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I am sending an email to all TDs in Laois/Offaly. I would urge you all to do the same.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/members-hist/default.asp?housetype=0&HouseNum=30&ConstID=123&disp=mem

I'm off to pi$$ in the wind.....will prob have the same result.

BUT if i want to drink/drive to work they'll help out:rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Roaster wrote: »

1. No doubt IR will spout out their usual..."price of fuel....we buy in bulk..." bull****!

2. Interesting to see our Minister for Transport's expenses at the weekend:eek: No fecking train journeys in his expenses claims!

1. thats a non-argument, fuel costs have been significantly lower this year than last... (as seen by todays Ryanair profit report)... so even bulk buying last year would not see a price increase effect this year

2. ministers dont claim train expenses because they get a "per mile" expense when travelling on train...!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

genie_us wrote: »
    This is an absolute disgrace, how are they allowed to get away with it?

Because commuters will pay it.

Kenteach wrote: »
    Because commuters will pay it.

It's not that we will pay it, it's that we're forced to pay it because there's no alternative. Bit of a difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Commuters from Drogheda/Dundalk felt the same. Action group after campaign group after protest group set up to tackle outrageous prices, offensive price increases and uncomfortable and unreliable service. all the while, they still took the train every day. Then the bridge collapsed. All the current opinion is that the resulting bus service is superior to the train service in every way. Not advocating Laois people trade the train for the bus, merely that alternatives are out there. I know a gang of lads here in portlaoise who used to see each other regularly on the train. Didn't know each other from adam. Eventually got chatting. They now car pool to the city for a fraction of the combined cost.

Kenteach wrote: »
    Commuters from Drogheda/Dundalk felt the same. Action group after campaign group after protest group set up to tackle outrageous prices, offensive price increases and uncomfortable and unreliable service. all the while, they still took the train every day. Then the bridge collapsed. All the current opinion is that the resulting bus service is superior to the train service in every way. Not advocating Laois people trade the train for the bus, merely that alternatives are out there. I know a gang of lads here in portlaoise who used to see each other regularly on the train. Didn't know each other from adam. Eventually got chatting. They now car pool to the city for a fraction of the combined cost.

I read that somewhere alright that people are a lot happier with the bus. Unfortunately for most places in Laois (afaik everywhere outside Portlaoise) there's absolutely no alternative to the train unless you drive yourself. If there was, I'd definitely be on it!

17.50 didn't even run yesterday evening.

No announcment until 18.05 to tell sallins and newbridge cumstomers to go for the 18.10 train. Nothing for anyone else or a reason for the delay.

Then at 18.15 Port cumstomers got off and went for 18.05 ( no really ) after word filtered up that the 17.50 wasn;t going anywhere.

The 18.05 left at 18.35 but pulled in to let the 18.00 Cork train pass by:rolleyes:

What a joke of a service, i rang them this morning and it was like talking to a brain dead donkey.

Asking me were announcment made via the the station PA system......eh how would i know, i was on a the train.

The complete lack of interest in the customer and the service baffles me.

Not even an announcment on the 18.05 ( well 18.35 really ) to why it was late or an apology.

I finally got home at 19.35.....55 mins late and still paid the same amount.

oh and the 08.04 this morning was 15 late and when i tried to talk to the ticket checker about it i was told to shut up and listen to him.

complete fcukin joke.

I feel your pain! I get the 10 past 5 train home though so thankfully (sorry) missed out on all that fun yesterday

The last few weeks the 7.40 am to Dublin is continuously late, was so pissed off last Fri I rang the so called customer service myself. Total waste of time. The last 2 mornings I've had to get up at the crack of dawn to get the 5.50am train to make sure I'm at work for 8am. This means a 20 minute wait at heuston station for the first 92 bus and I'm in work for half 7. That other heap of crap wasn't getting me in until 8.30.

I went onto www.railusers.ie and they have a section where you can leave comments so I did, and got a very good reply back from Mark Gleeson, I'd recommend you do that at least you'd get a good reason as to why you were so late home, and as far as I know they keep copies of complaints like that to lobby with if that's the right word!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

17.50 didn't even run yesterday evening.

No announcment until 18.05 to tell sallins and newbridge cumstomers to go for the 18.10 train. Nothing for anyone else or a reason for the delay.

Then at 18.15 Port cumstomers got off and went for 18.05 ( no really ) after word filtered up that the 17.50 wasn;t going anywhere.

The 18.05 left at 18.35 but pulled in to let the 18.00 Cork train pass by:rolleyes:

What a joke of a service, i rang them this morning and it was like talking to a brain dead donkey.

Asking me were announcment made via the the station PA system......eh how would i know, i was on a the train.

The complete lack of interest in the customer and the service baffles me.

Not even an announcment on the 18.05 ( well 18.35 really ) to why it was late or an apology.

I finally got home at 19.35.....55 mins late and still paid the same amount.

oh and the 08.04 this morning was 15 late and when i tried to talk to the ticket checker about it i was told to shut up and listen to him.

complete fcukin joke.

Trains have gone REALLY bad lately, think there are speed restrictions all over the place. The 8.04 train is gone terrible. Only get it once or twice a week as is but it used to be quite good. It's taken off the new timetable anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Need to get the train tomorrow to Dublin AM.
    Does the Port train stop at Clondalkin Station or do i have to go all the way into Dublin.

it depends on what train you get but very few do.

www.irishrail.ie

and put in what you need.

Advertisement