Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof lights meeting windows at Eaves

Options
  • 28-10-2009 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi All,
    Quick query. I have a detail on my house where window ope of 2.5m wide by 1.0m height (split in approx 3 x 800mm panes) meets a roof light of approx same size at the eaves. I dont want the roof lights to be velux type. I want them non -openable with the vertical windows opening. This is to allow a nice view to the sea whilst sitting in the landing area. Any window companies i talked to says i will need to use their window on the vertical and velux windows on the roof pitch. I have seen this done before and it looks very messy IMHO with colour difference apparant between both sets of windows.
    Does anyone know of any window company willing to do this detail (PM me please) and does any one have a construction detail showing what happens with the dpc at this junction? I have concerns about wind blown moisture at this detail. Any help would be appreciatted.
    Thanks in Advance,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In this situation I would insist that the same manufacturer is used for both windows, it makes life so much easier. Colour, size and importantly the connection all work better.
    Plus there is no confusion as to who to blame if it fails.

For this reason I think you are best to go with velux for both windows, they do a range of vertical windows specificaly for eaves junctions. I seen them used in the Griffner house house (high spec austrian timber frame house) and they looked very well.

By the the way, don't confuse velux, the generic terms for a centre pivot rooflight, with Velux's full range, which includes fixed glass non-opening windoes. IMO these look the best of the lot.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

get the frame made up in steel, then get the window manufacturer to measure each individual window. The junction of the roof window and slatework is exceptionally important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Conman1

Thanks Mellor and stb. Would either of you have a construction detail for this type of set-up. Just want to make susre that all the dpc is correct and in place.
    Thanks again.
    C

Advertisement