Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using beads and insulated slab together

Options
  • 28-10-2009 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi All
    I just want to get peoples opinions on using pumped beads for the cavity and also putting insulated slab on the inside of the wall.

Some engineers tell me not to use both as they cause dampness because of moisture being trapped between the slab and wall, and some tell me that they see no problem with using both together.

Anyone here have a experience using both good or bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

most new self-builds I'm at lately use 100/105mm cavity pumped plus insulated slab or a straight 150mm pumped.
    Never heard anyone mention the problem you stated. My brother choose the former a few years ago and has no problems and is very happy with the job.
    I'd prefer the latter as I see the inner leaf as a type a storage heater plus the slabs are dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Just a word of warning - in practice it can be difficult to achieve compliance with 100mm pumped bead. There was a lecture at Building Expo about same, the Speaker found it difficult to find one on Irish market to comply. (Note Speaker was not selling anything - he simply tested houses all over Ireland, blow door / infrar red etc)

Don't take my word for it but do your homework!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

homer1982 wrote: »
    Hi All
    I just want to get peoples opinions on using pumped beads for the cavity and also putting insulated slab on the inside of the wall.

Some engineers tell me not to use both as they cause dampness because of moisture being trapped between the slab and wall, and some tell me that they see no problem with using both together.

Anyone here have a experience using both good or bad?

well we are doing it in our house. builder said he hasn't built a house in the last 5 years any other way. my future father-in-law who is overseeing the build advised it too. our engineer who is signing off expressed some concern over the cavity insulation but was happy to proceed once he received clarification that it conforms to certain standards. can't vouch for it first hand but i'm sure if there was an issue the engineer wouldn't sign off - he is very very fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭gooner99

Not 100% sure on this,but I think that as the moisture will be traped between the slab and the inner leaf,the dampness/mould will only be apparent if you were to remove one of the slabs.Am I correct on this?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We're in 9 months and have used this system, 100mm platinum bead and 50mm high density insulated slab on inside..

Very happy with performance of the insulation and we're seeing major energy bill reductions and more comfortable conditions compared to our last 12 year old house..

Advertisement