Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most cost efficient way to use central heating?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 4:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I have an oil boiler outside for my heating. Im just wondering what is the best way to use it:

A plumber told me to turn it down quite low outside, and leave it on all the time (at least when you are in the house). You will have a steady comfortable heat (I dont like too much heat) and its more cost efficient.

Another boiler service man said to turn it on for 30 mins, off for 30 mins, and keep doing that.

Is there a "best" way ie cost efficient?

thanks

h

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://consumerist.com/5390259/28-cash+saving-ways-to-get-your-house-winter+ready

24. DON'T TURN HEAT COMPLETELY OFF: If you are not going to be home for much of the day, don't turn the heat completely off, just lower it to something like 65f (it cost more money to heat a house from like 40f to 75f than it does to keep the house at 65f).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Overheal wrote: »
    http://consumerist.com/5390259/28-cash+saving-ways-to-get-your-house-winter+ready

24. DON'T TURN HEAT COMPLETELY OFF: If you are not going to be home for much of the day, don't turn the heat completely off, just lower it to something like 65f (it cost more money to heat a house from like 40f to 75f than it does to keep the house at 65f).

Personally I like my at around 16-17 c anymore and I am too hot. Think that somewhere arond 60-62 f.

75 is just ridicoulus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A lot will depend on how well insulated your house is, i.e. how quickly it looses heat.

My house is almost 50 years old and while I've made a few insulation 'upgrades' it can loose heat quickly on the coldest of days. If it's a cold day I switch the heating to 'All Day' and set the thermostat back to 15°C while we're out to prevent the temperature from dropping so low that the boiler has to run flat out to catch up. I like the house warm and usually have the temperature set to 21°C while we're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its too vague a question to answer really without knowing how well house is insulated , room sizes , radiator sizes etc .
    But as a general answer if you have a thermostat inside keep them turned down to a comfortable temprature most find 17-21 fine . Eliminate draughts and remember every time you open doors or windows to outside you dump out heat too.

Advertisement