Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer from UK, free fees?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 4:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I'm considering changing from a Scottish uni back home to Ireland. I'm in my first year now, but really regret not applying to TCD and UCD. Will I be eligible for free fees if I've already attended another "third level institution"? If not, will I just have to pay full EU fees my second year or all three remaining years (it's a four year course) ? ><

Also, I may apply to an entirely different course (literature to medicine). Would this be the same situation, pay full fees for a year and then "free fees" for the rest? Help desperately appreciated! :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elix

I _think_ if you qualify for "Free" fees normally and you havn't applied or accepted a course thru the CAO (UK applications are still separate?) you should be eligible. Your still an Irish citizen? so you should be eligible, if your eligible for a grant is another thing all to together!

However, i do know from friends experiences, once you've applied and accepted a CAO course then decide to drop out (when you cant transfer internally via your universities registry office) and apply again thru the CAO, you will be hit with the lovely Fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LeitrimLilter

Ah happy days, elix! This is such a relief :).

Fee status was really my only concern on whether or not to transfer. I am an Irish citizen, yes. Janey mak though, I won't even look at grants because my mum lives in the States now, and my Dad in Dublin (but he's trying to head over to the States, as well). Idk if I'd be entitled to one without both parents in the EU; that, and then there's the whole issue with my education: I was in the UK for my last two years of secondary school, so never sat the LC. I don't believe it's the ideal case for a grant, but 1500 euro/year isn't too bad for medicine.

No worries, I just didn't want to leave a less expensive, higher ranked uni for a more expensive one on the sole premise of nostalgia.

Thanks for the response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Ah happy days, elix! This is such a relief :).

Fee status was really my only concern on whether or not to transfer. I am an Irish citizen, yes. Janey mak though, I won't even look at grants because my mum lives in the States now, and my Dad in Dublin (but he's trying to head over to the States, as well). Idk if I'd be entitled to one without both parents in the EU; that, and then there's the whole issue with my education: I was in the UK for my last two years of secondary school, so never sat the LC. I don't believe it's the ideal case for a grant, but 1500 euro/year isn't too bad for medicine.

No worries, I just didn't want to leave a less expensive, higher ranked uni for a more expensive one on the sole premise of nostalgia.

Thanks for the response!

I'm no expert on grants, so, I can't advise there.
    However, you are mistaken if you think the fees, where applicable, are only 1500 euro. That is only a registration fee, not a course fee.
    You need to check with the fees office of whichever Uni you're interested in. They will be able to advise you.

Noreen

Advertisement