Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming A Tattoo Artist

Options
  • 28-10-2009 3:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

How would one go about becoming a tattoo artist?

I'm an artist, and my style/work really lends itself to tattoo designs, and I've always wanted to get into it, but have found it pretty much impossible to break into. Do ya have to be taken under the wing of an experienced artist? Are there courses you can attend? Is it more "who you know", rather than "what you know"?

Information would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Apprenticeships. Incredibly hard to get. Do a search of the forum, there's tons of info on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cg299

If you are a good artist and you have a good portfolio, go around to every tattoo shop you can find!
    the smaller ones would be more likely to help you out.
    i reckon you would have to be willing to work for free to get going, and i would let them know that.

use your legs and teach your self, i know tattoo artists who did that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 krystel

Cg299 wrote: »

use your legs and teach your self, i know tattoo artists who did that!!

worst piece of advice ever! :mad:

look for an apprenticeship but dont ever start tattooing on yourself or your mates when you dont know how to do it!

this is purely and simply wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

krystel wrote: »
    worst piece of advice ever! :mad:

look for an apprenticeship but dont ever start tattooing on yourself or your mates when you dont know how to do it!

this is purely and simply wrong.
    That’s how a lot of artists start off .

Op you really need to become friends with an artist , for a start even if you are doing your friends you need access to an autoclave (although there are some kits where every thing that needs to be autoclaved is disposable. The fact that you have an art background is good but don’t think for one minute that it is an automatic you will be a good tattooer it’s a different medium and requires starting from scratch . If you lucky some one will let you hang around and learn for free in exchange for keeping the place clean and doing some of the jobs they don’t have time for ie packing stuff for the autoclave running earns ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dingdong1

if you want it badly enough you will get it... all the info is out there on how to go about it, what tattooists will be looking for and expect etc.. it's not easy but it's not impossible either. i've been apprenticing over a year now, in a studio that never met me until i approached them with my portfolio. good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement