Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multifuel stove with boiler

Options
  • 28-10-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have removed a back boiler from my fireplace. I want to install a multi fuel stove and am looking at options.

I was advised by a central heating merchant that my 3/4" pipes weren't designed to take a stove capable of heating 8 rads, so that I should rather go for an insert stove such as Nestor Martin IT13 (similar to IN13 but newer).

What is the heating like from an insert stove?

He says that the pipes would be rattling madly unless a pump is going all the time, and we would be better zoning the heating to get more efficiency from our existing oil boiler.

Should I follow his advice or install a smaller Mulberry which would heat 2 rads and the hot water tank because of the pipe problem?

With the back boiler we did sometimes have the pipes rattling if the electricity went off to the pump

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

your pluimber is not wrong , but thats not to say hes right either.

We have a hunter stove capable of running 9 ras and it runs thropugh 3/4 inch pipes , and also a few long runs of 1/2 inch , it wont have the pipes banging like mad if you have a pipe stat controlling the pump, nand if the electricity goes it will vent to the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 groengoen

Thanks for that info. I have actually gone ahead with removing the pump and pipes and am going to install an inset stove which just heats the room. I will just continue using the existing oil-fired system

I am postponing any re-zoning as the quote I got was €2,900, which I thought a bit steep.

hmmmm , you could have gone ahead with a boiler stove , it woul have saved ya a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 groengoen

You are probably right. Maybe I was a bit hasty.

I might try to do the zoning the DIY route. It can't be rocket science. I will search for help on that.

Send a pm to JamesM, hes a dead sound fella he should be able to explain it to ya.

• Advertisement
Advertisement