Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything I can do?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

As I mosey through my DC collection, I'm coming across games that don't work. Fair enough, they've been gathering dust for nigh on 10 years. However, I'm also coming across games that will load fine, let me play for a little while and then return to the startup screen. After that initial burst, they won't load ever again.

Quite odd.

I'm wondering if using one of those disc cleaners (either the ones you get in Argos for about a tenner or doesn't Game or Gamestop run some sort of disc cleaning service?

Anyway, I'm just wondering if it's worth the time and effort? Has anyone had games that will load and play just fine, but only for a limited time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Scratches?

*Breaks out the toothpaste*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

o1s1n wrote: »
    Scratches?

Usual wear and tear, but nothing too damaging, as far as I can see

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

A few years ago my fat PS2 stopped reading discs so I got one of those cleaning discs. It's basically a CD (plays relaxing music while cleaning) with a brush on it. It worked for a while but then the PS2 stopped reading discs altogether. Yep, GAME do disc repair for 4.99 per disc or 9e for 3 discs. Smyths do it for 3e a disc. It's alright although it didn't fix one of my games. And yes if there are scratches on the discs whip out the toothpaste. Actually if I come across that cleaning disc I'll give you a lend of it.

Well, I thought it was originally the DC was dying on its ar$e, as there were 3 in a row (including Virtua Fighter 3tb sniff), but then it's loaded about 20 in a row without complaint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A few years ago my fat PS2 stopped reading discs so I got one of those cleaning discs. It's basically a CD (plays relaxing music while cleaning) with a brush on it. It worked for a while but then the PS2 stopped reading discs altogether. Yep, GAME do disc repair for 4.99 per disc or 9e for 3 discs. Smyths do it for 3e a disc. It's alright although it didn't fix one of my games. And yes if there are scratches on the discs whip out the toothpaste. Actually if I come across that cleaning disc I'll give you a lend of it.

That will happen to any PS2 because they are badly made pieces of ****. I'm on my third.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Jesus, I didn't think they were meant to be that bad? I still have my release console and it works perfectly. Maybe just got lucky.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

In all fairness it lasted 3-4 years of heavy usage. I no longer have it but my nice silver slim PS2 works like new after 4 years, maybe. Would like another fat one though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Possibly heat related.

My theory: If you've ever taken the DC apart, you'd notice that the connection between the power board (friction clamps) and motherboard (upright pins) is designed for heat related movement. If the pins are a little dirty or oxidated, then after a while of playing, the point of contact between the clamp and pin may change to a position that isn't so clean, giving a bad contact and a reset. Taking off the power board and replacing should be enough friction to clean the pins, but it's a good idea to clean them with some tissue while it's off. I've bought several "faulty" DCs with this condition, and they've become perfect after cleaning the pins. Could be something to do with the downstream boards not getting the voltages they're needing (IIRC, 3.3V 5V and 9V or 12V - they're marked on the board, so easily tested if you want to check the power board).

Another cause could be a dusty or faulty lid switch. I've seen mini dust devils around the lid switch affect operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Toothpaste and linx is good for scratches, put it on and wipe it off with a piece of cotton cloth that's what I do. I read somewhere peanut butter is good but I've never tried, wouldn't want to really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

I hate SONY, they made some nice Walkmans, Discmans, Hi-Fi's, Trinitrons etc........... but, they can't make a quality long lasting console.

PS1, PS2 = BAD RELIABILITY.
    PS3 = to be decided?

Don't get me wrong I like/love most of the games that have been made solely for the SONY consoles, BUT, there is a massive HARDWARE reliability issue, namely the optical drive. (It does go for all optical driven consoles including SEGA, PANASONIC, PHILIPS)

But again, SONY = constant failure

It seems that nowadays that is is acceptable for a console to fail after a year and you have to go and buy a new one, if you are not covered by a warranted? i.e. XBOX 360

I'm older and wiser now!!!??? (I'm really not sure which I am right now, but I know what I want from a console) I will not be purchasing a new console, I'm sticking with cartridge/tape based consoles and maybe the PS2 if I can get a HDD adapter. That means faster loading times for those who like to backup there original PS2 games to a a Hard Disk, and treat it like a cartridge!

It's not just SONY that I hate, as I would hate to be brand bashing, I hate Microsoft as well and I don't own one of there consoles either. Their failure rate is enough to turn me off both of their consoles.

On a personal note to the OP. I know F*** A** about the DC. This thread has gone enough off topic without me ... GOING ON about the PS2.

I am currently rediscovering Zelda on the GB Color, thanks to an online auction and a modified phone charger.

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »
    Toothpaste and linx is good for scratches, put it on and wipe it off with a piece of cotton cloth that's what I do. I read somewhere peanut butter is good but I've never tried, wouldn't want to really.

What is "linx"?
    polyfusion wrote: »
    Possibly heat related.

Like I said, I don't think it's the DC itself, as it loads 90% of my games perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Lynx (thanks o1s1n : D) = Men's deo, you spray it really close to the disc it comes out like water

Master of the Universe

Ah, it's spelled Lynx. (Not that I use the stuff, tis 'orrible! or am a spelling Nazi, just might have explained the confusion...!)

If it works for scratches sounds like it might actually be easier to use than toothpaste. Although it might be a little less accurate. Must try it out on a demo disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

sengoku wrote: »
    I am currently rediscovering Zelda on the GB Color, thanks to an online auction and a modified phone charger.

I dont mean to hijack - but Im intruiged....explain the modified phone charger please...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My DC woes included overheating, my own damn fault, and a faulty controller board, one repaired by my bro in law and resulted in a fully functioning DC, lovely!
    The PS was a reliability disaster, my original machine did last about 4 years and lots of play before it went all peculiar, the PS2 died after 7 years of constant use in a thunderstorm, left it on standby, lightning strike and ZAP, toasted PS2.
    The PS3 is 60gb and still going strong, I'm on my 3rd 360.
    The NES has broken my heart with it's flashy flashy greay screen.
    Megadrive, Snes, Saturn and Gameboys have never given an ounce of trouble, despite lots of use.
    All my current consoles, over 50, are working great, bar the 2 NES consoles, despite replacing the connector in one of them, they made them so badly, it's a scandal, although, to be fair, they are 25 odd years old!
    That said, my 30 year old Atari works just fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

dreamcast has its own cd system,using gd rom,storing about 1gb on the disc,they where ment to be sensitive to scratches also i read it was due to the dreamcast model itself,meaning just pure luck,try cleaning the dreamcast lens with cd lens cleaner you be surprise what dirt it can pick up..

Advertisement