Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice, mice and more damn mice

Options
  • 27-10-2009 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi all..
    Have been batteling mice in the attached garage for two weeks now.. Traps and poison down in the garage and have a safe bait point down at side of the garage also...

I thought I had all the entry points sorted until today I figured the 4 inch line through which the oil was pulled was still open under the burner giving free acess from the oil tank to right inside... Now sorted

I have one other area I'm suspicious about... Over the roller door there is a 2 inch gap where the roll is back from the blockwork. I didn't notice this in our last house.

Has anyone seen this before or is there a way of closing? Or would mice go this high to get access ??

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

is this a block build?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Yes, standard construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

For what it's worth - and it may be too late for you now - but I've found the ultrasonic deterrents work very well. We had mice coming into our...ehem, kitchen...quite a bit during Autumn/Winter months (around a drain pipe in wall of old cottage). Traps were put down but we could not really keep up with them.

Saw this gadget, plugged it in and haven't had mice in the house since two years). I say it may be too late for you as I've been told that these things work when fitted whilst the mice aren't in the house. You may need to ensure that the mice are out of you garage before you plug this thing in...

Indeed I've bee thinking of something like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

We had the same gap in our garage, most roller shutters do, our garage is detached from the house, but we stuck the same pvc soffit the we used on the house to the underside of the lintel and let it run into the door sealing the gap. Its the time of year for the mice alright, have a few posts on my blog spent a few nites recently awake to the noise of them in the ceilings...

www.selfbuildardmore.blogspot.com

• Advertisement

One day last year, I sat on the patio watching this mouse "inspecting" the wall, it was very thorough.

I'm certain if there was an opening, it would have found it (fortunately it didn't find one).

Don't leave any doors open, the little sods will wait and charge in!

No inside activity since...
    Outside bait box is still busy so I'll keep feeding them plenty of bait and it should reduce the population in a few weeks..

I've been looking at buying one of these on the web...
    Ultrasonic but also sends an electromagnetic wave throughout the wiring of the house, has effect 2m out from the wiring, sounds good !

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/5-in-1-ultrasonic-mouse--spider-repeller-650-sq-ft--60-sq-mtr-104-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Cheap timber trap - very lightly set - with bit of Mars bar tightly fixed to trap. They love choc & caramel!

Lay trap 45degrees to wall (mice like to walk close to wall)

Snap !! No substitute! (Ultra sonic seem to keep them away - ideal for kitchen etc)

Advertisement