Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

really really big sign in cork about a 'cycle path'

Options
  • 27-10-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

"Ballincollig Green route, model farm road and curraheen cycle way"

So they've put this gigantic sign on college road in Cork near the presentations school's pitch about a 'cycle way' in Cork.

I mean, that sign is just huge, that's at least going be able to stay there for 25 years I'd say. Look at those poles, they're like 30cm in diameter. That's some solid engineering.

So, does anybody know what this great feat of civil engineering is going to embody?

Really, with such a big sign, I want at least wind generators on every corner so I can have the wind from the back at all times. Or maybe one of those horizontal escalator thingies they have in airports.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Maybe they have to get a move on and spend all the money from the "Big NDP Sign" budget before Brian Lenihan makes it disappear.

Anything about it here? (I don't know Cork well enough to know which if any of those schemes it might be.)

http://www.corkrdo.ie

I like these signs. You get to find out who built the scheme, who designed the scheme, and who maintains the scheme (well ok, two out of three).

Really though, I don't know if it's contractually required (I'd guess it is) or if it is just good practice by the Client to have an 'entry' sign to a job like this, but if there was an opening ceremony it's helpful to have the name of the companies who worked on the scheme and the Client(s).

Though I'm not big up on signage by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I suspect the "road" bit of the plan may be the greater reason for the signage. I will suspend judgement of course until we see further details of what is planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Dónal wrote: »
    I like these signs. You get to find out who built the scheme, who designed the scheme, and who maintains the scheme (well ok, two out of three).

Really though, I don't know if it's contractually required (I'd guess it is) or if it is just good practice by the Client to have an 'entry' sign to a job like this, but if there was an opening ceremony it's helpful to have the name of the companies who worked on the scheme and the Client(s).

Though I'm not big up on signage by any means.

If there was an opening ceremony, they wouldn't have it there, but they could put up a sign temporarily. Like many of these signs, they'll stay up being ugly for at least 5 years.

I'm just interested in what this 'cycle way' constitutes.

(because I think it's going to be crap (on a stick))

What also tickles me is that this sign is constructed near a dirt path a lot of cyclists use to avoid Wilton road, which is a very dangerous road. If they could jusy put a bit of tarmac down there, it would probably have costed the contruction of that sign. I'd be a happy cyclist. Now my pants get dirty of the mud, and you can't get over it with a racer because of the sharp stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You've got me thinking. If authorities want to create cycle facilities, why don't they observe what cyclists are actually doing or trying to do (legal or otherwise) and try to facilitate that?

I remember there used to be trails of worn grass through my local churchyard, which were created by pedestrians taking shortcuts, ignoring the official footpath. The authorities eventually tarmaced over the bare trails, I suppose because they were acknowledging that they hadn't met the needs of the pedestrians when they built the official footpath.

• Advertisement

If there was an opening ceremony, they wouldn't have it there, but they could put up a sign temporarily. Like many of these signs, they'll stay up being ugly for at least 5 years.

I'm just interested in what this 'cycle way' constitutes.

(because I think it's going to be crap (on a stick))

What also tickles me is that this sign is constructed near a dirt path a lot of cyclists use to avoid Wilton road, which is a very dangerous road. If they could jusy put a bit of tarmac down there, it would probably have costed the contruction of that sign. I'd be a happy cyclist. Now my pants get dirty of the mud, and you can't get over it with a racer because of the sharp stones.

I have an awful feeling this "scheme" includes those pseudo cycle lanes out by the texaco garage on model farm road, which are about 2/3 the width of a bike's handlebars and include some deeply recessed drains that if you went into you would never come out of again. Fcukin hate cycle lanes. As you said money would be better spent surfacing that dirt track and perhaps putting some lighting there(it's a bit creepy at night).

Advertisement