Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas fire or Gas stove?

Options
  • 27-10-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hey...
    At the moment I have an open solid-fuel fire, but there is a gas connection at the side of the fireplace. So I was thinking of having a gas fire installed - just leave the fire place as-is and put in a gas burner with the fake coal etc.. (sorry don't know the technical term). I think I can get a gas fire without the surround for 250/300 euo.

However, I've read on here that an open (solid fuel) fire looses approx. 80% of heat up the chimney. Therefore, would an open gas fire lose the same? If so, it is possible for me to get a stove that will insert into the fireplace, but run on gas?? Apparently the stoves will keep more heat in the room.

Hope that makes sense! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭youtheman

The dilema you are faced with is : do I go for the 'real fire effect' or do I go for efficiency. Unfortunately you can't have both.

I have a gas stove in my living room (installed in 1991). It has the 'coal' effect, but it's covered by glass. So you don't get the comely effect of a real fire. But it's relatively efficient (from the data sheet is says Max Heat Input = 5.3 kw, Max Heat Output = 3.5 kw, so efficiency is 3.5/5.3 = 66%).

I have a brochure for the modern Stanley stoves, and they are quoting efficiencies around 79%.

What ever fire you are considering look for the EFFICIENCY figure on the data sheet (if they don't quote it then the simple maths like I have shown above will do).

You can be assured that the open gas effect fire has an efficiency approaching zero. It looks nice, but to heat the room you'll have to turn on the central heating.

Advertisement