Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LaPierre Shaper 100 vs. Giant Rapid 4

Options
  • 27-10-2009 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Just had my Specialized Sirrus stolen from in front of the IFSC last week. :mad: (Learned my lesson the hard way that no matter how short a time period you always need to use a U-lock and cable in town)

Im trying to decide on a new bike to get and cant decide between the Shaper 100 and the Rapid 4. Anyone have any advice. Im going to go ride both after my cycle to work voucher comes in.

I will use it ~80% of the time for commuting and ~20% for spins on the weekend. I want to be able to put a rack and panniers on it, but still have something light and quick enough to do a 100k cycle.

I see some people recommend moving up to the Giant Defy, but Im not sure that it will be a comfortable daily commuter. Any use this bike as a daily commuter?

Any advice and comments appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I haven't ridden a Defy, but I commute 15km each way on an aluminium drop bar road bike and it's very comfortable (more so than the plastic superbike hanging in my shed).

If you're considering a Defy I assume it's from a local shop so take it for a test ride and see for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dermots

Do you have panniers on your setup?

dermots wrote: »
    Do you have panniers on your setup?

I have a rack and rear bag for laptop and clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

A Defy will take panniers. I commute 40km a day on an SCR which is the pre-cursor to the Defy.

Thanks Pete. I guess I'll take the Defy for spin and see what I think of it. I've never owned a drop bar before. From what most of my cycling friends tell me, it's worth going for the drop bars if you intend on doing any long cycles. Never seen a SCR/Defy with panniers before, but good to know someone already has that setup.

• Advertisement

I've marked the 3 mounting points here:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=94522&stc=1&d=1256652856

You can see them if you hover your cursor over the picture here:
    http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.3/3882/37101/

Though the rear mount is obscured by a brake cable. I had panniers on mine for a holiday. I commute with a small backpack though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Is the Rapid the new name for the FCR?

Yeah, Giant remodeled (and remarketed) their bicycles for 2010. The Rapid series is the replacement for the FCR. They changed the frame geometry slightly, but it's basically the same thing as the 2009 FCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I commute on a defy 4, it's been grand since I changed the tyres on it and stuck on a mudguard.

What tires did you change to Brian?

Did you ever try putting a rack on the back?

I still don't quite get why a Defy would be better than a Rapid. I don't really understand what makes a drop bar a better option than a flat bar. I guess time will tell?

• Advertisement

What happens alot is people buy a flat bar and then want to go faster and end up buying a road bike. If you intend ever to go on a social spin or out with boards or a club, you would be better off with a road bike. Though there was one lad last summer who used an FCR.

The drops offer you more hand positions and the option of going lower against the wind. Plus a more aero position in a commuter race.

If you have any intention of getting into cycling as a sport and I don't necessarily mean racing, but touring and sportives, I would go for the drops.

What happens alot is people buy a flat bar and then want to go faster and end up buying a road bike. If you intend ever to go on a social spin or out with boards or a club, you would be better off with a road bike. Though there was one lad last summer who used an FCR.

The drops offer you more hand positions and the option of going lower against the wind. Plus a more aero position in a commuter race.

If you have any intention of getting into cycling as a sport and I don't necessarily mean racing, but touring and sportives, I would go for the drops.

Pete's bang on the money here. I got an FCR1 at the end of last year and ended up converting it, at great expense, to a drop bar recently. I did the ROK on it last year plus a good few long spins and always wished I had the drops for more hand positions and also for a more aero form. I wasn't racing either only keeping fit/commuting/sportives.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

That's sage advice - like the OP my sirrus was stolen last week so also on the lookout for new/used replacement. I'm a long way from your idea of "social spins", I'm sure as coming back from knee surgery and a gap of over 15 years since my last bike so I think i'll keep looking for an appropriate hybrid at the mo, build the strength up and then consider drops.

as a matter of interest how much approx does it cost to convert say an FCR or similar?

poochiem wrote: »
    as a matter of interest how much approx does it cost to convert say an FCR or similar?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61951587&postcount=1210

poochiem wrote: »
    I'm sure as coming back from knee surgery and a gap of over 15 years since my last bike so I think i'll keep looking for an appropriate hybrid at the mo, build the strength up and then consider drops
    The position on the FCR is not much different from the SCR, I presume the same is true of the current models. Though you'd want to compare the frame geometries for yourself.

But go for whatever feels right.

Finally got my new bike. I opted for the Defy 4. Took a friend's Defy 4 out for a spin and decided I was okay with drop bars. I put some mudguards on it, but haven't bothered with a rack yet. They have some nice, narrow racks that fit well on a racer at Cycle Superstore (that's where I ended up buying it). Probably going to buy some new SPD pedals for it and shoes. I'm thinking the SPD-SL are too awkward for commuting and I'm not exactly ready to starting entering races. . .

Thanks for the advice all! Love the bike and glad I went for drop bars after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

best of luck with it.

Congrats Dermots, Hope you like it.

One thing to look out for is that kenda tires will pick up punctures, so try to make sure you're looking for glass that might be working it's way in.

Which were the panniers you saw in the cyclesuperstore?

I was looking at this rack.

I'm new to this all and didn't realize they made narrow carriers. I'm using the bike as a 75% commuter/25% training, so I want to be able to put on panniers, but don't want them to be cumbersome to the rest of the bike setup. I think that rack and a pair of panniers might be a good fit.

What do you think?

I know nothing about racks, so probably wouldn't be any use.

One thing to watch out for is that the rear clearance on the defy 4 is very tight, I'd try to avoid anything that would require you mounting something between the wheen and the brake calipers *cough* crudgaurds *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

From the few I've looked at up close, all the Giant 2010, defy/rapid have improved clearances over the 2009 models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

dermots wrote: »
    I was looking at this rack.

I'm new to this all and didn't realize they made narrow carriers. I'm using the bike as a 75% commuter/25% training, so I want to be able to put on panniers, but don't want them to be cumbersome to the rest of the bike setup. I think that rack and a pair of panniers might be a good fit.

What do you think?

One thing to watch on road bikes is that the chainstays (the bars between the bottom bracket and the rear wheel) are usually shorter than a touring or city bike, so your heels can sometimes clip the pannier(s) when on the move. The solution is to use narrow panniers and/or a rack that extends behind the rear wheel like this one.

If you're commuting you probably only need one pannier. I think mine has a 15l capacity and it's fine for a change of clothes etc.

I had that problem with my MTB. Had to find a carrier that sat quite high.

Panniers, are handy, but I have a tendency to overload them. If you only use one like me, I think it makes the bike a little twitchy at the back at low speeds. I'd like to bring enough stuff in one day, so that I don't have to the rest ot the week.

The solution is to use narrow panniers and/or a rack that extends behind the rear wheel like this one.

Does that attach to the rear wheel skewer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Lumen wrote: »
    Does that attach to the rear wheel skewer?

Yep, you remove the hand nuts at either end of the skewer, pop the rack arms on and secure to the frame with the nuts. There's also a single arm at the front to secure behind the rear brake. Easy to install, might be a slight PITA with a rear wheel puncture but even that shouldn't be a big issue (touches all wooden objects in sight...).

Not quite as sturdy as the traditional 4-point racks, but plenty strong for commuting and probably equal to any other 3-point rack. Apart from the extra heel clearance, it's useful in that it should work on any road bike (inc. carbon if you don't mind the Euro police knocking).

Shouldn't need it on the wheel skewer on the giant. You can screw it to the mudguard point. If you've also got mudguards, you might need a longer screw.

Included pump pegs is handy.

I got a flat on the first day I commuted to work with the Defy. I've already ordered some Gators, I've heard they're much better than the Kendas for avoiding flats. Will probably tryout a few pannier rack/bag combinations to see if I can get a pair that gives me enough heel clearance. Didn't have much luck on my old Sirrus, could only put small panniers on which wouldn't hold all my stuff.

Thanks again for the advice.

Have you got a track pump?

Don't suppose Dermots is going to be on this again, but I wonder what they did with regard to the panniers. Thinking about going on some longer cycles this summer and wouldn't mind picking up a set. A bit worried about hitting them while pedalling as I have quite big feet and 175mm cranks.

• Advertisement

Yeah, still on here. I have not put panniers on yet. I have a saddle bag which is big enough to hold two tubes, repair kit, lights and wallet. Still need to buy a mini-pump. I'm probably going to look into getting panniers when the weather warms up a bit. Hate commuting with a backpack in the warmer temps as you end up with a very sweaty back. Bringing my bike into shop for the free 6 week tune up and might try fitting some racks and panniers on it then. If I end up getting some, I'll post pictures.

Advertisement