Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle for farmwork and commuting

Options
  • 27-10-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Any suggestions on most appropriate vehicle for both part-time farmwork and commuting 40 miles a few days per week?

The farmwork will involve driving through fields, pulling trailor, so good 4WD would be needed - though all within 30 mile radius of farm, so tractor or quad ruled out.

Was thinking along lines of Hilux or similar, as open tray would be advantage, but concerned about fuel economy and comfort for commuting and issues around commercial tax. Also considering option of old pick-up for farm work and small diesel car for commuting, though would mean double tax, insurance, etc.

Budget around 10k. Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Im told the Ford ranger can be got cheap in the U.K. Same vehicle as the Mazda BT-50 so cant be bad,Good all rounder without having to insult a Toyota dealer by trying to haggle over one of their beloved Hi Lux pick ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 teapot16

The Ford Ranger seem to get mixed reviews on other threads, so not to sure.

Based on experience driving abroad am leaning towards single cab hilux, but was wondering what they are like for longish journeys - comfort and fuel economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

teapot16 wrote: »
    The Ford Ranger seem to get mixed reviews on other threads, so not to sure.

Based on experience driving abroad am leaning towards single cab hilux, but was wondering what they are like for longish journeys - comfort and fuel economy?

Rubbish for longer journeys, not too uncomfortable but if you have 2 people in it theres not even room to put your coat somewhere if you take it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Everyone seems to overlook the king cab when looking for a pickup, it's got two small rear seats for occasional use and at least you can wind your seat back a bit.
    I think they can be cleared for fifty euro too.

I like the idea of secure storage space with a king cab, but have had a look on various sites and don't see any older hilux king cabs available, even in uk.

Lots of Ford Rangers available with king cab, but wondering what main problems with this pick-up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I drive a 1997, Hilux, 2.4 turbo diesel.
    I bought as I go off road regularly for work and it's more comfortable than a Defender.
    Mine is lifted about 4" and has wide all terrain wheels. Mileage is about 30 mpg. I love driving it though and have very few problems with it except for the large turning circle it needs. No frills, wheels have to be locked by turning knob on wheels to use 4x4. No electric windows - little to go wrong.
    Can be got in UK for about £5,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

I had a 97 hilux and due to a quick change in my work i ended up havin to drive it for a few weeks from donegal to wexford...not pleasant. Single cabs are for farm use and are dam good at it but on journeys no as you have room for nothing in the cab and cant even get the seat back a fraction, well im 6ft. I then bought a Mitsubishi L200 crew cab and i love it, v reliable good comfort does my daily 40 mile commute and my farm work etc, parts are cheap, its easy fixed if wee things go wrong, it has comm. tax and for me that farms and commutes i find it a great all rounder, mine is 03 and u will certainly get one up to 06 to come in under your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

i love hiluxes

they are a bit rough on the road,but you can't expect much more,they are a great workhorse

i have a 1993 crewcab and have commercial tax and insured it as a commercial,still cheaper than anything else it think,throw the kids in the back and do the school run

its raised and has loads of lights

i have a few jobs to do to it but i will sell it if you want it 3 grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hairy Hunter

Hi,

Bought a 2001 Hilux pick up 6 months ago 91,000mls (just run in!) and I love it.

i am regulary off road, and go from dublin to galway at least once a month.

i put a truckman canopy on the back, gives me somewhere dry to put stuff.

Hilux Rules

HH:pac:

well it looks like i'm going to go with the hilux, though as posted earlier they are pricey here!

the uk websites seem to have plenty in pretty good shape and for a good bit less even taking account of vrt. anyone have any experience of importing a hilux from the uk?

thanks for the offer oflynno, send on the details, though am leaning more towards the single cab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd recommend a Mazda B2500 as you can get a mint one for the price of an older rougher Hilux. they're bulletproof, and because they don't have direct injection like the Hilux they're not as likely to need expensive engine work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭PaddyThai

teapot16 wrote: »
    well it looks like i'm going to go with the hilux, though as posted earlier they are pricey here!

the uk websites seem to have plenty in pretty good shape and for a good bit less even taking account of vrt. anyone have any experience of importing a hilux from the uk?

thanks for the offer oflynno, send on the details, though am leaning more towards the single cab.

Get an older Hilux, like a mark 2 or 3. Year around 1997. The newer ones are reputed to be more for on road with a lot of electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Daihatsu Four Trak. Not a lot of them here but easily picked up in the UK. If you get the right one the rear canopy can be removed.

I had a '95 Fieldmaster 2.8 TD - very fast, very powerful and economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

It has to be a toyota :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement