Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green man on the bog.

Options
  • 27-10-2009 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Has anyone ever heard those common stories about ghosts always being seen near bogs?

Does anyone know the reason or can find a website detailing the reason?

I presume it has something to do with whatever gas the bog emits and moonlight passing through it.

Anyone with light to shed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I like to think the paranormal aspect of Irish bogs goes back to the prehistoric preoccupation with the mystic and spiritual element of the places. Bogs and other wetland places seem to hold a significant spiritual side to Irish people. I can perscribe some reading on the matter if anyone gives a toss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Beneath the surface of bogs are gases which occassionally escape.However sometimes these gases ignite with the heat of the surrounding,sending flames out of the bog surface.This sight was said to be Jack of the Lantern/Will of the Wisp doomed to wander the land until judgement day.
    Also there were many victims of human sacrifice buried in bogland.The study of these 'bogmen' continue to give us insights into ancient Irish culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Sometimes after a particularly strong curry the title of this thread describes me perfectly

Advertisement