Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me-im terrible at maths...

Options
  • 27-10-2009 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

and im doing business, the ratios and when i calculate the ratios the numbers come out all over the place, so when i calculate the

current assets
    current liabilities x 100

the answer comes out as a fraction, how can i get like a full number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

It depends on your calculator, I have a grey sharp calculator and I just have to hit the "abc" button and it changes it to a whole number! Just ask your teacher, they will be glad to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

try pressing the "S/D" button on your calculator? Its just above the delete button

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What calculator do you have?

If you come out with a fraction like 1230/5, then divide 1230 by 5 to get it as a whole number (more than likely for asset:liability ratio it'll be a decimal.)

I might be wrong, but thinking back to JC business, isn't the Quick Ratio meant to be expressed as Current Assets:Current Liabilities . Therefore is your Current Assets is 1000 and your current liabilities is 100 then it'll be 1000:100. The LCM is 100 so it'd be 10:1 . I might be wrong about that, check the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

God, you really are terrible at maths!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭click_here!!!

Hi,
    I do Honours Maths and Accountancy, so have seen that formula before (and many more besides).

The Current Ratio is "Current Assets":"Current Liabilities".

But, you must get the side on the right to be 1.

Therefore, you divide the Current Assets by the Current Liabilities on your calculator, and write it like this, for example:

1.6:1. (It may be referred to as something like '€1.60 in assets for every €1 owed)

Tip: You usually only have 100 in formulae when percentages are involved in the answer, which isn't the case here.

We were told in accountancy that anything above 1.5:1 is okay, but this is different to the recommended 2:1 for the Junior Cert and could be different to the recommendation you were given in your business class too.

Also, bear in mind that there is also the Quick Test ratio, which is "Current Assets"-"Closing Stocks":"Current Liabilities".

Okay, good luck!,
    Shane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement